Author Topic: Chest fat or something serious!  (Read 2552 times)

Offline SimoS

• Posting Member
hello! Im 23! I started loosing weight in the beginning of 2010! I lost about 45lbs but i still have some stubborn fat around my chest and stomach and lower back! I don't feel any hard tissue in my chest! Its flabby and soft like the tissue on my stomach! Im around 20% bf in the moment! What do u think
Im currently around 86kg and my hight is 6,1!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
When you are overweight, your body will deposit fat preferentially on parts of your body -- the chest is one of these places.  Also, when you are overweight, the excess fat actually can predispose to estrogen production -- which in turn will stimulate the growth of breast tissue on your chest.  This is the "double whammy" of being overweight.

When you lose weight, you will lose fat -- but the breast tissue already established will not change.  Thus, as you lose weight, the breast tissue remains and will need to be removed by surgery sometime in the future if you wish to have a flat and contoured chest.

If you are feeling soft tissue on your chest, that is still probably breast tissue.  It need not be firm to be breast tissue.

I would encourage you to lose whatever weight you can -- until you are at a normal and stable and comfortable weight.  Then consider visiting a plastic surgeon who can help assess what can be done to improve your chest (and perhaps your lax abdomen as well).

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline SimoS

• Posting Member
When you are overweight, your body will deposit fat preferentially on parts of your body -- the chest is one of these places.  Also, when you are overweight, the excess fat actually can predispose to estrogen production -- which in turn will stimulate the growth of breast tissue on your chest.  This is the "double whammy" of being overweight.

When you lose weight, you will lose fat -- but the breast tissue already established will not change.  Thus, as you lose weight, the breast tissue remains and will need to be removed by surgery sometime in the future if you wish to have a flat and contoured chest.

If you are feeling soft tissue on your chest, that is still probably breast tissue.  It need not be firm to be breast tissue.

I would encourage you to lose whatever weight you can -- until you are at a normal and stable and comfortable weight.  Then consider visiting a plastic surgeon who can help assess what can be done to improve your chest (and perhaps your lax abdomen as well).

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs

Hey, Doc! Why do you keep saying the breast tissue established won't change, when ive witnessed how one friend lost even more weight and he had a ton of excess fat on the chest and got lean( to around 9% bf) and his chest got defined and muscular! Im 20% BF and Im pretty sure that when I cut down to 8-9% the fat will come of cause Im also pretty sure that isn't breast tissue and is most likely fat! I know what breast tissue feels like ;D! Also i wasn't aware of the word: LAX ABDOMEN. I searched it at now I know what u mean!ALthough i don't fully agree that it is lax abdomen cause u have to take in consideration although I lost 45lbs of fat Im still not quite lean and im around 20% BF which is quite alot! I need to loose 20 lbs to get around 8-9%Bf!Im pity that I didn't take a pic before I lost weight cause things got significantly better since then! I think i know by body the best to tell if its gyno or not! Ive done research myself! this friend looked like he had gyno for sure, but 98% of people that think they have gyno are actually fat! Like the people on this forum! I see guys who are 40% bf and ask if they have gyno! Its just funny! yeah the lean people have a problem, but those with more than 20% bf need to cut down first and then make statements if they have gyno! Some people are genetically programed to store fat on the chest, most store on the stomach, lower back, glutes and quads! Also people need to know their body type! I as an endomorph can gain fat easy, but loose it easy as well, though im at a plateu at the moment! Thanks!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
What the Dr said was the usual case.

As you have noted, weight loss alone can sometimes lead to complete resolution of gynecomastia. This happens so rarely that the Dr. would be accused of lying if he actually led you to believe it could happen.

He did after all mention that you should lose some weight until you get to a weight you are comfortable with and can effectively maintain. Only then should you think about surgery. Weight loss alone rarely reduces the size of a man's breasts enough to make the man happy with the result.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024