Author Topic: 2 Post Op Questions  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Ride09

• Posting Member
Although I have already discussed it with my surgeon I just wanted to hear opinions from other doctors on here. I am about 6 1/2 weeks post op by the way for gland excision under both nipples.

1.) My left nipple has a fold directly through the middle of it and when I flex it gets pulled in to the center with the flexing muscle. My doctor told me this is being caused by the internal sutures attached to the nipple. He said once they are dissolved by the body (sometime between 8-10 weeks) it should release the hold and get rid of the fold in the center. So i'm just wondering if any other doctors have had this happen, because I have never heard of it until he explained it.

2.) I was given a steroid injection yesterday (6 weeks post op) to break up whatever is causing swelling and puffiness in my right nipple. I should have asked what name of the steroid was but I forgot to. Was just wondering, was this a kenalog or cortisol injection?

Appreciate any advice you can give me, thank you!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Sometimes there are folds or other contour issues under the nipple or around the nipple and areola, and for the most part, these resolve over time as the tissue heals.  Your surgeon is the best person to ask about that, and it seems that he was able to explain it to you.  Time will tell as far as the resolution is concerned.

As for the injection you had, again, you'd have to ask him what agent he injected.  Kenalog is what I use in my office, though I don't typically do any sort of injection before 4 - 6 months post-op.  Your surgeon likely had a specific issue he was addressing with the injection.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Ride09

• Posting Member
Appreciate the input! He had told me whatever substance was causing the fluid and swelling would hopefully be broken up by using the steroid. It's this stupid crease on my left side that is worrying me so much. The thing is I don't know if it is a crater deformity because it seems that only the center of the nipple is being sucked in, instead of the entire area being sunken in. Hopefully this will correct itself over time. I kinda expected better results after 7 weeks though  :-\

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
The tissue that's left behind under the areola will swell after surgery, and depending on how much dissection was done, it can stay swollen for a while until the normal circulation patterns in the tissue are reestablished.  As a result, some irregularities may be more significant in the face of such swelling (such as a slightly sunken nipple with fullness around it), and over time, this may be less obvious.

RS

Offline Ride09

• Posting Member
Well that sounds like some good news, today marks 8 weeks post op so i'll continue massaging and see what happens over the next few weeks. Again I appreciate the help Dr Silerman!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024