Author Topic: Urinary retention after general anesthesia  (Read 5355 times)

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
I'm having surgery in a couple weeks and will be going under general anesthesia. It's not my preference, and not the preference of many doctors on this board, but I'm okay with it because I've done my research and trust the surgeon. One question, though:

I've only been under general anesthesia once and, for the first 24 hours after surgery, I couldn't pee and had to have three catheters. The surgeon said it was urinary retention from the general anesthesia and that it would wear off. It did, but those catheters were one of the worst things I've ever experienced. I do not want to go through that again. Keep in mind, that surgery was much different as it was two to three hours long and I was in the hospital for three days.

Do you think this is something I'll have to deal with again? Should I call my surgeon's office now to tell them or is it okay to bring it up the day before at the pre-op appointment? I don't want to end up back at home after the surgery and unable to pee.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Without question you should always tell your surgeon anything that might be helpful.Urinary retention can occur after surgery particularly after general anesthesia.If you have had urinary retention after surgery in the past you are at increased risk for having the problem again.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It is worth telling your surgeon about this beforehand.  It's not likely that he'll do anything different, and as you've observed, this is relatively short surgery, and you should be up and around quickly afterwards, thereby decreasing your risk.  Nonetheless, knowing beforehand might compel the nursing staff to get you moving around sooner afterwards in an effort to avoid the catheter.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline puffynipsman

• Posting Member
I just want to follow up in case anyone ever stumbles upon this thread and has a similar concern.

I had surgery last week and the general anesthesia went off without a hitch. I was able to urinate the first time I tried, which was within an hour of waking up.

I did talk to one of the nurses a week before the surgery and she talked to an anesthesiologist about it. He told her that there wasn't much he could do other than hope it didn't happen again. He added that it's not something he'd experienced in patients without a history of urinary retention prior to surgery, so he wasn't sure how to explain it in my past operation.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024