Author Topic: How to prevent scar tissue formation after surgery  (Read 19743 times)

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
I had surgery last friday. would like to know how to prevent scar tissue formation under the nipple. appreciate your help

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
There is unfortunately no way to prevent scar tissue after any surgery.The goal is to minimize scar after surgery. I have found compression vests and early re-mobilization are helpful adjuncts in the  minimization of post operative scarring.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The development of scar tissue is one of the most vexing and unpredictable aspects of gyne surgery.  To this day, I cannot predict which patients will develop scar tissue, although snug compression after surgery and prevention/recognition of any possible post op bleeding or oozing might be helpful.  Even with those treatments, scar tissue does occur.  Most often it can be reasonably treated with cortisone injections.  Unfortunately, there is no preventative method that is 100% successful.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
Thanks Drs for your replies.
I am 7 days post-op.. I heard silicon gel sheets. Can I start using them? can they help?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Scar tissue is the body's natural means of healing itself.

When gyne surgery is done, there is not only a scar on the surface where the incision has been made -- there is also scar tissue under the skin across the expanse of the chest.  When growth of scar tissue become an issue post op, it is the latter type of tissue that poses the main problem -- and this scar tissue under the skin cannot be treated with silicone strips.  Silicone strips are only used for surface scars -- and not every patient requires them.  One week post op is much too soon to use them in any case.  Best to inquire of your surgeon when or if they might be of help.

Hope this helps.

Dr Jacobs

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
ok.. thanks Dr.Elliot for the clarification.. I was mainly concerned about the scar tissue under the skin..  so compression is the only way to prevent it?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Compression may be of help -- but your body will heal with scar tissue everywhere surgery has been performed.  It is your body that determines the production of scar tissue -- and that cannot be strongly influenced in any way.  Welcome to the unpredictable nature of surgery.

Dr Jacobs

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
i read it in some posts that massaging the surface scar after 2 weeks using some creams can prevent that.. is it true?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As Dr. Jacobs has said, the surface scars can benefit from silicone sheeting or cream, but most patients don't need these items following gynecomastia surgery.  The deeper scars, and the chest generally, may benefit from massage, in order to prevent the skin from becoming tethered to the deeper tissue. Massage can also help with dissipation of the swelling, and help the skin to be more supple over the chest post-operatively.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
Thanks Dr Rick for the useful info. Am 2 weeks post-op. Can I start massaging now? or do i need to wait for the wound to completely heal?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I talk to my patients about massage at their follow up appointment one week post-op.  I allow them to start as it feels more comfortable, so by my standards, yes, you can. But you should check with your surgeon before proceeding.

RS

Offline wantnewlife

• Silver Member
Thanks Dr.Rick.  My doctor told me to use silicone gel for massaging. On the cover,it's mentioned it should not be applied on open wounds.. I still feel incision in areaola crease is still not completely closed.. should i wait for some more time? or can i massage using some coconut oil?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024