Author Topic: Medical Clearance  (Read 1948 times)

Offline steelhead

• Silver Member
I'm wishing to pursue w/ gynecomastia surgery I'm 40 years old and my question is do I need clearance from my doctor ? I don't wish to tell anyone that I'm going thru w/ this do I need my medical records or any type of blood work or other info before proceeding ?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every surgeon has his own requirements for pre-operative evaluation.  If the surgery is being done in a hospital, then the hospital itself may have requirements.

Many guys never see a physician and on rare occasion, pre-op blood tests or physician clearance will find something that the patient was unaware of.  In my experience, I have picked up a leukemia, several instances of diabetes and other conditions which the patient did not know about.

More to the point for me, I work in my own office surgical suite -- not a hospital.  I don't want any surprises in the operating room.  therefore, at least for me, I request a series of blood and urine tests, cardiogram and medical clearance for anyone over the age of 40 -- that's routine.

Better safe......!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Unless a patient has specific medical issues, I follow the guidelines of the hospital where I do my procedures.  For men over 40, they may require a chest x-ray and EKG, but I don't believe they require any blood work.  Usually, I suggest that blood work be obtained through the patient's primary care physician, since if I order the testing, he might get stuck with the bill.  Any testing that's done as part of the pre-admission process is covered by that.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery