Author Topic: Fat grafts/injections hardening....... what are removal options?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline spooreal

• Posting Member
Hello, I had gyno surgery several months back. It was generally a success with the exception of a little too much fat being removed above the nipple. My doctor did some fat injections and it looks a little better if I am not moving, but upon movement you can see a greater defect as it is lumpy underneath. Also, when I feel around, there are lumps attached to the muscle which were not present before. I dont know what is worse in all honesty.

Doctors, what are these lumps? Why are they stuck to my muscle?

What are my options for removal? Is this like scar tissue and may they be removed via some kind of injection (kenalog?) as Ive heard on the board?

Lastly, and most important, can the lumps be removed and attempt the injections again to create a natural layer of fat?

Or are fat injections not intended to create a natural layer of fat?

THANKS A MIL IN ADVANCE.

Offline spooreal

• Posting Member
Hello, I had gyno surgery several months back. It was generally a success with the exception of a little too much fat being removed above the nipple. My doctor did some fat injections and it looks a little better if I am not moving, but upon movement you can see a greater defect as it is lumpy underneath. Also, when I feel around, there are lumps attached to the muscle which were not present before. I dont know what is worse in all honesty.

Doctors, what are these lumps? Why are they stuck to my muscle?

What are my options for removal? Is this like scar tissue and may they be removed via some kind of injection (kenalog?) as Ive heard on the board?

Lastly, and most important, can the lumps be removed and attempt the injections again to create a natural layer of fat?

Or are fat injections not intended to create a natural layer of fat?

THANKS A MIL IN ADVANCE.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
When fat is injected, it often swells and becomes firm.  Those may be the lumps you are feeling. 

Fat grafts take time to soften and to heal.  Sometimes they do not "take" and then may turn to scar tissue.

Best advice is to give it several months, at least, before drawing any conclusions.  Best to speak to your surgeon periodically re progress.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline spooreal

• Posting Member
When fat is injected, it often swells and becomes firm.  Those may be the lumps you are feeling. 

Fat grafts take time to soften and to heal.  Sometimes they do not "take" and then may turn to scar tissue.

Best advice is to give it several months, at least, before drawing any conclusions.  Best to speak to your surgeon periodically re progress.

Dr Jacobs

THANKS DOC

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Dr. Jacobs has already answered your question nicely.  Just as an addendum, I am a fan of massage, which can sometimes help with softening the area up and with resolution of the lumpiness, but you should check with your surgeon, as he or she may feel differently about that.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery