Author Topic: New Experiment?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline puffynipples

What I am about to propose might be absurd, but forgive me for my ignorance. I was watching an episode of the TV series House, in which Dr. House uses an alcohol injection to shrink a tumor. After googling it, I see that it is called a Percutaneous ethanol (alcohol) injection (PEI). My question is why can't we use such method to shrink the breast tissue as well?

This seems like a very affordable solution, compared to some $10,000 in total surgery. I believe that we need to find a cheaper solution, if gynecomastia is so common. I have had this condition since I was 10, and I am currently 19. I don't know if I will be able to afford surgery for years to come. I feel this has affected my entire life as a youth, and will continue to do so.

Please pardon me for my ignorance, if this sounds absurd, as I do not have any medical knowledge; but I strongly feel that we need to find a cheaper alternative so no one has to live with this condition. Thank you for any responses. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I don't know of any doctor in his right mind who would do such a thing -- I know I wouldn't.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Aside from the fact it would not work, anyone who did try it would be subject to disciplinary measures .
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Because management of gynecomastia is primarily a cosmetic issue, you want to approach it in a way that is controlled and most likely to give you the best outcome.  Injecting something into a mass of tissue with the hopes that it will get rid of it lacks the sort of control that surgical technique in well-trained hands can provide.  There would be uncertainty as to whether the material being injected would have the desired effect, how much of an effect it would have, and whether or not it would cause any visible deformity or scarring.  I am not aware of anything that would be effective in eliminating gynecomastia tissue in such a controlled manner, as compared to surgery, which, while not perfect, does result in a good outcome in most cases.

It is unfortunate that addressing gynecomastia is expensive, and many of us try to work with patients to make the procedure affordable.  Nonetheless, most patients find that it's worth the effort of saving for it in order to resolve this problem.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery