Author Topic: Lasix for post op swelling?  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Thelake1944

• Posting Member
Hello, I'm at about 1 week post op. I'm a little concerned because I have a follow up tomorrow and my surgeon may prescribe lasix depending on how much swelling I have, ( I still have a good amount.) I'm concerned because I've read online that numerous surgeons say lasix is unsafe for the treatment of post op swelling? Should I be concerned? Do I need a second opinion?

Joey

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Lasix is a powerful diuretic drug which is usually reserved from chronic conditions in which there is fluid accumulation (ie kidney disease, heart failure, etc).  Virtually no surgeon uses lasix to deal with normal post-operative swelling.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Thelake1944

• Posting Member
Thank you for your response Dr. I'm very worried, should I present this to him tomorrow at my post up? Should I switch surgeons? I feel as though I've lost a lot of my confidence in my current one.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I can't imagine a circumstance where I would prescribe Lasix for routine post-operative swelling.  I'm not sure why your surgeon would recommend something like that, presuming you're otherwise healthy.  Swelling after surgery is normal, and it's a part of the healing process, typically managed by mechanical means (compression wear, for example), not diuretics.  Switching surgeons in mid-stream isn't a great idea, but you can certainly ask him to explain his rationale for using a diuretic, and you might say you'd rather give the process time to resolve on its own, as it seems like that's normal based on your research prior to undergoing the surgery.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Thelake1944

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr. Silverman. I would ask tomorrow and if it's ok with you I will relay to you what he told me. I'm actually from western ma. I do feel like my confidence in him has lessened.There is quite a lot of swelling ( I hope its not fat left from the lipo.) I know it's very early but how soon would I be able to switch surgeons if I'm not satisfied with the results? It would be at least 6 months right?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024