Author Topic: One of my nipples sensitive after surgery?  (Read 1956 times)

Offline nielk

I had surgery in July, and one of nipples is still sensitive. The left one no sensitivity at all, but the right is getting to be annoying. Is this normal after the procedure? Also for the record I had a hematoma on the right breast which I had to have a second surgery to remove.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
It's not uncommon to have hypersensitivity in that area after surgery.  Numbness is also possible and is more common, but it is usually not permanent.  Everyone is different, but the sensitivity usually calms down within a few weeks.  Just give it a little more time.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I think it is common to have some differences between the two sides in the early post operative period. These differences typically work themselves out with time.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Most of the sensory complaints made by patients resolve within six to eight weeks after the surgery, but nerve recovery is slow, and depending on the nature of the "injury," it can take more than a year for full recovery.  With that in mind, you may feel changing sensations for many months, usually the occasional shooting pain, which is what patients will complain about.  If you think of how your leg feels when it wakes up, with some pain and tingling for a few minutes, and imagine that stretched out over months rather than minutes, that's what it seems like.  It's normal and nothing to worry about.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery