Author Topic: Gynecomastia + abs; what gyno looks like on a lean person  (Read 16886 times)

Offline earthshieldkek

Just thought I would share with you guys because I often wondered what my gynecomastia would look like once I lost weight and got in shape. You so often hear people say "Just lose some weight and they'll go away," which, if you have done your research, you know is not true. I hoped by getting in shape there would be some improvement, and there has been, but the gyno is far from gone. So I thought I'd share in case others were wondering how they might look after losing a good bit of weight. At 5'10" I went from about 205 lbs in the first photo to around 168 lbs in the second. Hoping to have it surgically corrected after I put on a few pounds of muscle over the winter months.

Before:

After:

As you can see, while losing fat certainly improves gyno, (and overall appearance of course) losing fat is not going to make it go away even if you have a relatively mild case like I do.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are the perfect answer to those who say "lose weight and it will go away."

When gyne is present, it is a combination of fat and breast tissue (gland).  When significant weight is lost, as in your case, the fat in-between the "fingers" of gland tissue will diminish, but the gland tissue remains.  In essence, it compacts and concentrates and the entire remaining breast becomes firmer and more dense.  Ultimately, the only way to get a flat and contoured chest is to have the remaining gland surgically removed.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline xelnaga13

Thank you for sharing. Your transformation is incredible. Dieting cannot fix gyno, however I feel it's important for anyone considering plastic surgery to be committed enough to losing weight before hand.

BTW- It likely that the skin folds in your stomach will go away due to skin elasticity. Ive seen guys with tons of lose skin after significant weight loss, and its shocking how it shrinks up.

Monkey83

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
Thank you for sharing. Your transformation is incredible. Dieting cannot fix gyno, however I feel it's important for anyone considering plastic surgery to be committed enough to losing weight before hand. 

Hi.

Just wondering why it makes a difference is weight loss is before gyno surgery or after gyno surgery? Considering the person is overweight and not anything crazy.

Thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Just wondering why it makes a difference is weight loss is before gyno surgery or after gyno surgery?

Surgery is best done when the patient is at his lowest and stable weight.  The operation is then very precise.

On the other hand, there are some guys who are not at ideal weight and yet feel the presence of gyne prevents them from working out at the gym due to embarrassment.  It is then feasible to perform "compromise" surgery to improve the chest shape.  Then, when the gyne has been removed, there is no longer any excuse not to exercise and lose weight.  I have had a few guys in this situation who then went on to lose weight with P-90X or Insanity or similar, and came back a year later looking fabulously cut and fit.

However, given all options, I would rather my patients lose their weight prior to surgery.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024