Author Topic: Long term effects/post op  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Imbackagain

• Bronze Member
Hello,

I've just booked my surgery for 2 weeks time in the UK, I was told by my surgeon that I can return to sports,gym,sun exposure after just 6 weeks post op. I was also informed that after just 3/4 days I can return to light duties at work. Just wanted to get your take on it really, from your experiences is this normally the advice you give your patients. And what are the long term effect of the surgery, 10,20,30 years down the line will I get the odd twinge/pain, deformed tissue.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:04:20 PM by sp »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In my practice, one can return to full physical exercise within 4-6 weeks and sedentary type of activities within 3-4 days.

I cannot answer for long term because virtually all of my patients disappear from my practice after a suitable time frame of healing (usually around six months or so).  I am sure, however, if any of my patients had problems years after surgery, I would hear from them.  And I haven't heard anything. 

Once in a great while, however, I will get an email or letter 3,4, or more years after surgery, which thanks me again for having changed the life of that patient.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Because I deal with a lot of bodybuilders in my practice, and because of my own experience as a surgical patient who doesn't like to sit around very long, I tend to get my patients back to their routine fairly quickly.  I allow low-impact cardio after a week, and weight training after two weeks, presuming there are no issues.  Chest exercises are avoided for four weeks.  Compression is worn at all times. This is detailed on my website under "Getting Back to Training."  Before you approach your recovery this way, you should discuss it with your surgeon, since he or she may have other recommendations.

As for long-term results, I see some of my patients for many years, and the longest follow up I have is about 20 years.  No long-term issues.  Increased body fat can lead to some changes in the appearance of the chest over time, but the surgery doesn't stop the aging process, so this would be true with or without a surgical procedure.

Rick Silverman

Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery