Author Topic: When Scar Tissue heals - best to wear compression vest?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
Hi doctors, thanks for your time.

After my surgeries - my right pec had  a fairly large lump of scar tissue. It was just lower than, and under the right nipple. So while the left pec contoured nicely, the right pec wasn't contoured as the scar tissue made the bottom protrude somewhat.

I stopped wearing my vest 1 week ago per surgeons ok - and the scar tissue was still pretty hard then.

I am 5 weeks post op, and the scar tissue is softening considerably, very much so over the last week. Just feeling it now the nipple is now soft, and there is just a small hard flat layer underneath, there is no more protruding lump. It seems to get softer daily.

As it is getting close to going away - would wearing a compression vest again, even just sometimes, be helpful in making the skin contour nicely?

My daughter just took this picture - sorry the lighting is not good and kind of from a down angle. You can see the right pec - the darker skin under the nipple is where the scar tissue is healing. and the nipple is still protruding more and not contoured.

Will wearing my vest help it contour better/faster?

Thanks for your time.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
The vest or compression won't hurt, but I'm not sure if it will help significantly either.  I recommend massage to my patients.  You can check with your surgeon.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
As a general rule regarding wound healing the incision gets harder and darker ( red ) with time with the maximal effect at one month then continues to soften. Pressure accelerates wound maturation but motion is also a positive influence on resolution in Gynecomastia. After a period of time there is a decrease in the positive effects from pressure , this should not be confused with a negative effect from pressure.In simple English after a while it does not help very much and perhaps is not worth the hassle.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
Interesting to know, thank you for your time everyone.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024