Author Topic: What to do next?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline jhenry27

Any help is greatly appreciated:

Here's my dilemma; At the start of this I was 25 yo now I am 26 yo; in September of 2012 I started developing pain in the chest/ breast area, in October of 2012 I noticed hard lumps under the nipple/ areola in both breasts with swelling in both. I decided to see my general practitioner for this problem in January 2013. After an exam she diagnosed me as having bilateral gynecomastia. She ran blood work and upon the next visit she said everything is normal to her except that my testosterone and FSH levels are on the low side, she then referred me to an endocrinologist. At the endocrinologists appointment we discussed my issues: (to date I have the same symptoms) bilateral gynecomastia, severe pain in the breast/ chest,  lethargy/ tired, unexplained weight gain, lack of facial/body hair, no muscle mass or physical strength and depression. Upon examination she mentioned that my testicles are small, she then suggested another full blood work up including checking the pituitary, estrogen and testosterone levels and others. She then told me that my symptoms present something that is not normal. At my appointment today she said by blood work is normal, even though my testosterone and FSH levels
are still low and and said there is nothing she can do for me, just to deal with it or have surgery to remove the gynecomastia. Here's the thing I physically do not feel right and she brushed me off because of the blood work (my total test is 400 ng/dl- first reading in the morning and my FSH is 1.0) I still have the swelling and the pain, and all the other symptoms above, what is recommended? I was also previously diagnosed with hypogonadism by a doctor who has since retired. (NOTE: I am not taking any prescribed medications, no supplements or any illicit drug use.)
Thank you for any help.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:56:17 PM by jhenry27 »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's not clear to me if your levels are low normal or below normal, since 400 is in normal range.  I don't understand why the endocrinologist wouldn't treat you for hypogonadism if you indeed have that problem.  It should certainly be addressed before you have surgery to treat the gynecomastia, or there is some likelihood that this would recur.  It would be worth your while to pose this question to your primary care doctor or your endocrinologist, and perhaps get a second opinion.  If there's nothing to treat hormonally, then surgery would be the next step, but hormonal issues should be addressed first.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery