Author Topic: Question for Dr. Silverman re "proprietary blends" in supplements  (Read 1795 times)

Offline jlfmb

• Posting Member
Question for Dr. Silverman re "proprietary blends" in supplements
A question for Dr. Silverman (or anyone else inclined to answer): I have read in previous posts that you advise against taking any supplements that have "proprietary blend" written on them. I currently take three (well reputed?) protein/MRP supplements that don't use that exact phrase, but do use the word "blend" on the label. I have been taking them for a few years, and had surgery about 3 months ago. Should I discontinue them? Relevant info below.

Any advice appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------
1. Labrada Lean Body Instant Shake
Ingredients: LeanPro (Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Whole Carb (Brown Rice Flour, Hydrolyzed Oat Flour, Rice Bran), Natural and Artificial Flavor, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Fibersol-2, FOS (fructooligosaccharides), Rice Bran, Maltodextrin, Spice, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Fumarate,Alpha-tocopherolAcetate, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Chromium Polynicotinate, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Biotin, Chromium Chloride, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Phytonadione, Vitamin B12), Cellulose Gum, Soy Lecithin, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Guar Gum, Mono- and Diglycerides, Xanthan Gum, Acesulfame K, Sucralose, Potassium Phosphate, Salt, Beta Carotene added for color. Allergen Information: Contains Milk, Soy.

2. Isopure Zero Carb
Ion Exchange Whey (Milk) Protein Isolate, Vitamin/Mineral/Amino Acid Blend (Taurine, Potassium (as Potassium Chloride), Chloride (as Potassium and Sodium Chloride), Calcium (as Dicalcium Phosphate Dihydrate), Phosphorous (as Dicalcium Phosphate Dihydrate), L-Glutamine, Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide), Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E (as Di-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate), Niacin, Zinc (as Zinc Sulfate Dihydrate), Vitamin A (as Palmitate), Pantothenic Acid (as D-Calcium Pantothenate), Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Copper (as Amino Acid Chelate), Manganese (as Manganese Sulfate Dihydrate), Riboflavin, Thiamin (as Thiamin Hydrochloride), Folic Acid, Biotin, Iodide (as Potassium Iodide), Chromium (as Amino Acid Chelate), Vitamin K, Molybdenum (as Amino Acid Chelate), Selenium (as Amino Acid Chelate), Vitamin B12), Soy Lecithin, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose.

3. Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein
Ingredients: Micellar Casein, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Polydextrose, Lecithin, Gum Blend (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Carrageenan), Salt, Malic Acid, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Aminogen(R), FD&C Yellow #5.

Add'l marketing jabber on "Aminogen":
Aminogen® is a naturally derived patented plant enzyme ingredient that helps the body naturally liberate free-form amino acids from food protein (much like breaking the links of a chain).
Aminogen® enhances the body's absorption process by breaking peptide bonds, which attach amino acids to protein molecules.
Aminogen® seeks out protein molecules and helps the amino acid break free from the protein molecule, making it easier for the body to absorb the small molecule rather than a large protein molecule. Aminogen® is another intelligent product from Triarco Industries, Inc.

4. Creapure Creatine Monohydrate (No mention of "blends".)

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Re: Question for Dr. Silverman re "proprietary blends" in supplements
All of the items you've listed are fine.  The labeling rules, to my understanding, are fairly specific, but just as Coca-Cola is allowed some degree of secrecy in protecting its recipe, so also are supplement companies allowed to withhold information to some degree, and this is typically couched in the "proprietary blend" terminology.  The labeling often says something like "Super-X Proprietary Anabolic Formula" with a few items listed thereafter with lots of numbers, hyphens, and chemical descriptors.  It's not clear to me if that formula only includes those items, or if other items may also be included, and that's where things can be tucked away, since regulation is not very strict.  My advise to patients is to avoid these sorts of products, since the various pro-hormone items may be listed there. 

I saw a recent patient who developed unilateral gynecomastia, which he has related to one particular supplement he's using, which is approved (and even promoted) by the drug-free organization in which he competes.  The label included an item, which is some derivative of DHEA, the original "pro-hormone."  He acknowledged that DHEA and Androstenedione are not permitted, and I suggested he contact his organization and the supplement company for clarification on the product--but it looked to me they were recommending a product that should be on their banned list. 

It's an old saying, but "Caveat emptor!"

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com