Author Topic: What is an "experienced" gynecomastia surgeon?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline hm4295

• Posting Member
Hello Surgeons,

In your opinion, how much gynecomastia surgery should a surgeon have done to be considered reasonably "experienced" in the procedure? In terms of operations per month? Lifetime?

A second question: Does a good reputation for operating on women's breasts have any bearing on a surgeon's ability to treat gynecomastia in males? I understand the operations are different. I'm asking because most of the reviews on the internet I can find for Dr. Tholen are in regards to his female breast patients. He has a few positive gynecomastia reviews on this forum, but I'm just trying to decide if I should put any stock in his female results.

Thanks!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Virtually the entire spectrum of breast surgery in plastic surgery is devoted to female breast surgery.  Breasts are uplifted, enlarged, reduced, etc.  All to improve and enhance form and volume.
And most plastic surgeons do this very well.

Gyne surgery is done much less often and is designed to do just the opposite of women -- its aim is to remove virtually all the excess tissue, get tight skin with virtually no scars.  In plastic surgery residency, the young surgeon is exposed to 20 times (perhaps much more) female breast surgery than male breast surgery.  And the principles of female breast surgery simply do not apply to male surgery.

That is why we on this forum stress experience in doing male breast surgery as one means of getting the best possible outcome.  How much experience is enough?  Hard to say, but if you are considering any surgeon, you would want to see at least a dozen cases in his before and after photo gallery (on the web or in his office).

Hope this has helped.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Dr. Jacobs has articulated the benefits of an experienced gynecomastia surgeon quite nicely.  Most plastic surgeons do one or two gynecomastia procedures a year, whereas the surgeons on this forum do many more.  Many surgeons will claim that they do a higher number than the actual number, and it's hard to challenge them on something like that.  But if they do many of the procedures, they should be able to share before and after photos demonstrating the array of what can be encountered with gynecomastia surgery.  So be sure to ask to see photos, and this may give you a better idea of their experience.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery