Author Topic: surgery with no lipo?  (Read 4822 times)

Offline elba

• Posting Member
I was a little flustered when i saw my surgeon and didnt ask about lipo... can a flat look be achieved without lipo?

also i read somewhere that fat will not come off (or at least not easily) from the chest area... would it be possible to have gland just removed and from working out lose the fat?

my bigger post www gynecomastia.org/smf/13/dr-omar-farooq-edmontonfort-sask/msg181438/#msg181438

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Based on your photos, you'll get your best result with a combination of liposuction and excision.  You should speak with your surgeon to understand exactly what he's planning.  If you aren't confident that you'll get the results you're hoping for, you might reconsider your surgical plan.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline elba

• Posting Member
Thanks for your reply.

I called my surgeons office and the receptionist said he does not do lipo. Im wondering if maybe this has to do with it being covered by the alberta healthcare. But I'm still wondering if he will be able to remove the breast tissue and some or most fat through the incision below thennipple and if anything is left maybe i can work it off? The surgery is officially two weeks from today, I've done my pre op docs appt, my bloodwork, and anesthesiologistappt is today. . I fell it may be too late to change surgeons and maybe just hope for the best. Can you remove fat without lipo through the incision? Maybe lipo isn't covered by Alberta health care? He has good reviews in general as a surgeon. Mainly its covered and coming real soon which isboth great.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Are you sure your surgeon is a plastic surgeon and not a general surgeon?  General surgeons also do gynecomastia surgery, but most don't incorporate liposuction as part of that.  I'm not sure what sort of attention they give to the cosmetic outcome.  In the US, surgery to correct gynecomastia has a specific billing code, but that code just represents the treatment for the specific condition. It doesn't specify techniques used to achieve the results.  It's generally accepted that the combination of liposuction and excision provide the best cosmetic result on cases such as those demonstrated in your photos, at least by those of us who do a lot of these procedures.

RS

Offline elba

• Posting Member
He is a general. He has good reviews from patients.

Can I lose the fat after the breast tissue is removed through working out?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I have found it important to combine liposuction with direct excision of the glandular tissue component. I spent a summer painting and I think the liposuction has a similar role  to feathering the paint into the adjacent area  next to the one  just painted to smooth the transition between the excised region and the surrounding area.
I think the difference in approach reflects two important points.
The first point is plastic surgeons are trained in all the potential techniques  that may be used to optimize the final result. We then choose the combination that is best for each specific case. That is typically not the case with general surgeons who do not have training with liposuction. There is a saying that when the only tool you have is a hammer everything starts looking like a nail.
The second point is this is not a cancer operation and we as  Plastic surgeons treating gynecomastia are balancing the optimal blend of  removal of tissue with visual aesthetics. If the nipple is not excised there is always a small amount of residual glandular tissue.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024