Author Topic: Gynecomastia and testosterone - Physical strength  (Read 1636 times)

Offline dpgc1

I'm currently 23, and I've had gyno since I hit puberty. Does having gynecomastia impact the rest of your body? Or is the estrogene somehow isolated to the chests only?

Since gynecomastia is caused by an overproduction of estrogene, which again leads to lower testosterone levels, does it have any impact on my physical strength?
I'm wondering because as it is now, I've been working out for about 5 years and haven't had the progression I expected, though this might be within the normal variations.

Will a surgery (removing the glands) make your body produce less estrogen? Will that again increase the testosterone level in your body? I'm wondering if a gyno-operation will have even a minor impact on my physical strength.

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
As I cannot comment on whether having the surgery will ultimately lower estrogen levels and increase testosterone levels for you, I can suggest that you have a male hormone panel done to see where your T levels are at. Specifically try to get your doctor or see an endocrinologist to check e2 (ulta-sensitive assay), Total T, Free T and SHBG. This should give you a good idea of where you're at. Better yet, try to have it done  or 3 times and take the average, as these levels fluctuate. They will be able to let you know where your levels stand.

Also, you said you've been working out for 5 years and haven't seen any progress, my initial comment to this would be, how is your diet? Diet makes up 60% of the outcome, working out 20% and genetic potential the other 20%. Diet is key! Try looking into your carb/fat/protein ratio and see where your bf% is it.

Hope this was helpful.

Best!

Note: I am not advocating you to alter your hormone levels in any way. I've done it and the outcome is very unpleasant my friend.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:29:54 AM by Keep_It_Moving »

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The balance of hormones is not something that makes a good do-it-yourself project. Long ago, Endocrinology emerged as a specialty and has even spawned a number of sub-specialties.

To give you an example of what can happen as a result of ill advised attempts to regulate your own hormones: What does the body do when you have too much Testosterone? The surplus is converted into Estrogen and the result is Gynecomastia.

Body builders who self medicate with Anabolic Steroids to build muscle also dose themselves with Estrogen blockers but frequently have Gynecomastia because of their tinkering.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Let's de-bunk some misconceptions.

Having gyne surgery does not affect your strength one way or the other.  Period.

Second, the original set of circumstances (in puberty) which produced your gyne is probably gone at this time, leaving only your gyne as evidence.  That is why I very rarely require hormone workups on a normal 20 something whose gyne onset was in puberty.

Third, once your gyne is removed, it will have absolutely no effect on your hormones.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024