Author Topic: Post surgery - Fatter belly  (Read 1584 times)

Offline peterpan1983

Hi all, I've seen some really sound advice on this site and most has answered my questions without me having to ask, but two things that bother me i would like clarification if someone would be so kind to reply.

I have just had gynecomastia surgery 5 days ago which all has seemed to have gone fine but I have a some questions based on a few anxieties i have.

The doctor only left the drains in for 1 day after the surgery, he closely examined the volume of fluid and took regular readings, he eventually told me it had drained enough and to allow the holes to heal but 3 days later one side is full of fluid (so one side much bigger than the other)

Q1 - Will the fluid naturally absorb into my body eventually or do i need to act quickly and get it drained again? (I know to wear my vest)- please, what is the best solution? Patience or drain?

Secondly, I noticed after surgery my belly was much fatter then it was previous, this is by no means an optical illusion as a result of losing the moobs, there is a definite size increase in my gut which wasnt there before, I'm talking maybe 2 inches on my jeansize. I really fear the surgeon may have disloyally injected my own fat from my moobs into my belly somehow maybe hoping I would pay for more surgery at a later date (I know this is irrational thinking but its got me really paranoid) as my gut pokes out loads. Its not as a result of the compression vest either, i can really grip the fat with my fingers, its about two inches thick.

Q2 - Is it normal post surgery for the belly to swell giving the appearance of a beer belly?

Any help would be much appreciated. Even if it puts my mind at ease.

Thank you in advance,

Peter

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Based on your narrative the drains are out so you need to calmly wait and see what happens.I typically have patients take pain medication after surgery. One of the side effects of the narcotic component of the pain medication is constipation which causes the abdomen to swell a bit.Surgery in and of itself can also reduce the mobility of the gut for a short time which leads to some abdominal swelling or distension.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Not all surgeons even use drains (I don't), and when I used them, I always removed them the day after the procedure.  So in and of itself, having had them removed is not an issue. I'm not sure what the nature of the fluid is that you've accumulated--Perhaps bleeding or seroma.  It may resolve on its own, but difficult to comment on further without actually examine you.  With regard to your belly, you may be retaining some water, which will cause generalized swelling or bloating.  And as Dr. Pensler mentioned, constipation is a common issue following narcotic use for pain.  It's unimaginable that your surgeon injected your fat into your belly--For one, it's time consuming and has some risk--with no benefit to him or you.  Patience for your final result!

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with my colleagues.  Many patients retain water after surgery -- it may even be several pounds worth -- and a common complaint is that the abdomen appears larger.  It will diminish over time.

And guaranteed, no surgeon would take the aspirated fat and inject it into the abdomen.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline peterpan1983

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate the advice. I will take your comments on board and wait patiently for the next few weeks/ months; and if the one side does get uncomfortably bigger I will get it examined by a doctor. It gives me confidence knowing some surgeons do not use drains at all.

As for the gut, I knew I wasn't thinking straight, I'm glad the swelling/ water retention is somewhat normal.

You've all helped put my mind at ease.

Thanks again,

Peter

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024