Author Topic: Gynecomastia and marijuana  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Jessi1234

• Posting Member
Hey doctor!
I am 18 years old, done my Gynecomastia surgery 1 week ago.
In my surgery, the doctor pulled out 50 cc of breast tissue from each side and the surgery went perfect - I am very happy with the result.
the only thing that stop me from be really happy is the fact that i really cant understand the conaction between marijuana and Gynecomastia.
I have Gynecomastia for several years, and i am smokeing marijuana for 1 year 4-5 times a week.
dose it made my gyno worst? i dont know to say. i do know to say that it bothered me lately much more then 3 years ago, but it can also be psychologic.
I asked my doctor if i can smoke marijuana and he said yes, but i dont know how much its true- based on all the opposing information i read on the web.
in my surgery, they fully excision all of my breast tissue,
so is it or is it not possible to grow up all over agin because of marijuana use? My doctor said it will only return if ill take some kind of medicines for heart probelm and etc. when ill be 60+ years old.
I wanted to know if this is correct, and if not and marijuana can cause this agin, how do i know if it will cause this agin or not?  is the connection between marijuana and Gynecomastia caused by the fact that marijuana can change the hormons level? if yes, then my hormones level in blood test i did befor my surgery were  nmol/L 17.90 of Testosterone and pmol/L 107 of Estaodil, wich my doctors said its normal and my Gynecomastia didnt happed because of hormonal problem, is it right?

Thank You very very much !!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
The link between gynecomastia and marijuana is a tenuous one.There are some reports of a positive link,  but these are not controlled clinical trials. There are a number of reports that do not find a link.As marijuana was essentially an illegal substance by and large until recently I would suspect there will be an increase in information over the next several years.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Jessi1234

• Posting Member
The link between gynecomastia and marijuana is a tenuous one.There are some reports of a positive link,  but these are not controlled clinical trials. There are a number of reports that do not find a link.As marijuana was essentially an illegal substance by and large until recently I would suspect there will be an increase in information over the next several years.

Thank you very much for your answer!
Do you think that my Gyno will return affter the surgery (excision of my breast tissue) only from smokeing marijuana?
Thank you !

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Nobody knows for sure what will happen.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Agree with Dr. Pensler.  The connection requires a complex set of mechanisms, and it's more likely that the marijuana connection grew out of the "reefer madness" era, when marijuana was connected to many of the world's ills.  As medical marijuana use proliferates, there will certainly be better understanding of cause and effect between marijuana and many positive and negative outcomes.

I think it's unlikely that marijuana will cause recurrence, but if you suffer from the munchies too much, you might put on weight, which could make your chest look worse.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Jessi1234

• Posting Member
Agree with Dr. Pensler.  The connection requires a complex set of mechanisms, and it's more likely that the marijuana connection grew out of the "reefer madness" era, when marijuana was connected to many of the world's ills.  As medical marijuana use proliferates, there will certainly be better understanding of cause and effect between marijuana and many positive and negative outcomes.

I think it's unlikely that marijuana will cause recurrence, but if you suffer from the munchies too much, you might put on weight, which could make your chest look worse.

Rick Silverman

Thank you very much!
The reason i have wrote here is because the info in the web didn't seem to be reliable, so I will return smokeing marijuana.

If you have to guess, do you think my gyno will come back? based on the fact i allready done  fully excision all of my breast tissue and based on my hormones level (i have smoked  as usual ( 4 times a week (marijuana when they toke my blood test and the result were just fine nmol/L 17.90 of Testosterone and pmol/L 107 of Estaodil (are they really fine?)).

**By the way, i know that when girls do sexchange surgery, they getting they're breast tissue also excision and it never get back ( even though they're body keep making Estrogen)... so is it the same?

Thank you very much !

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Because development of gynecomastia can be related to multiple factors, I can't guarantee that you won't have a recurrence, but I think it's not likely to be related to casual use of marijuana.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024