Author Topic: Can Surgery Help Me?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Oklahoma Gyne

Hello everyone.  I'm 22,  I live in Oklahoma, and I'm pretty certain I have gynecomastia.

I'm 6'2" and right now I weigh about 235 lbs. I'm still in the process of dropping down from my max weight of 313lbs, that was caused in large part by a thyroid condition.(Hashimoto's) And also by my bad habits, I won't lie.

Like a lot of you, I've had it , dealt with it, and been ashamed of it since childhood, about 10 or 11 for me.  In high school I dropped down to about 175 lbs, which for me was probably to skinny, but I still felt as though my nipples were way too pronounced.

Most of the doctors I've visited have not given me a hard diagnosis of gynecomastia, and most seem to think it's just fat. This isn't the case though; I can feel hard tissue on both sides, especially the left.  I really think surgery would be best for me since this has caused me so much psychological distress. I know I still need to lose a bit more weight, but it's hard to be patient and I just wanted to see what y'all thought.

I'd really appreciate some feedback from you guys. I've been lurking around this site for a few months and it seems as though you all know well what kind of stuff I have gone through with this. Do I really just need to lose more weight, or would surgery really make a difference?  Thanks in advance!

Offline Oklahoma Gyne

More Pics, sorry they're so big!

hammer

You have gynecomastia! The word means male breast enlargement, and you have breast enlargement, you are male, therefore you have gynecomastia!

Yes, surgery will help you! You will want to find a surgeon who is very experienced with this type of surgery to be happy with your end result. You do not want to look worse without breast then you do with them.

Good luck.

Bob

Offline Bobby - LAgyne

• Gold Member
IMHO, you do have gynecomastia and you're on the right path to talk with a plastic surgeon that knows and has lots of experience with gyne. But I also think you will benefit from shedding some extra weight you have, health wise and aesthetic wise.

Good Luck!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, you have gynecomastia -- and you are lucky to have found this forum where you can get some really helpful advice from fellows who share your chest problem.

You are still a bit overweight -- but your height does help to compensate.  Would recommend you lose whatever weight you can -- comfortably -- prior to surgery.  Do not set unrealistic goals for yourself.  You might also schedule an appointment with a gyne expert in your area -- or consider traveling to see one.  You do have enlarged breasts (both fat and breast tissue) but not so large that a skin tightening procedure should be done (this would leave large, objectionable scars on your chest).

Expect your breasts to decrease in size slightly if you lose weight -- but unfortunately they will not disappear and will always appear to be prominent.  The only means of getting a flat and contoured chest is with surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Oklahoma Gyne

Wow, thank you all so much for responding so quickly!! It's so great that a community like this exists, I wish I had found it sooner. And hearing you all confirm what I've known for years means a lot. You guys are doing a really great thing here.

I will continue to work on and complete my fitness goals and then I will decide on surgery, though I already suspect that i'll opt for it a few months down the road. Thank you all so much. I'll try to pay it forward and contribute on here where I can. Thank you!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024