Author Topic: Tamoxifen  (Read 2220 times)

Offline MC832912

I've been doing research and recently I came across an artical that stated that Tamoxifen could be used to treat gynecomastia. I then asked a guy who worked at health supplement store if this was true and he said that it is. He said I should try a supplement called ArimiT and if that didn't work try Nolvadex (Tamoxifen). He stated that bodybuilders use theses products all the time. My question is if I have never taken steroids, would these products still be effective for me or is it only useful for guys who took steroids?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You would be wise not to believe the suggestions of a clerk in a health food store.

Tamoxifen may be effective in treating actively growing gyne -- but it is totally ineffective in treating established gyne.

Before you begin self treatment, don't you think it would be wise to see a doctor about your condition?

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I have spent considerable time looking into this and have published papers regarding this.Basically steroids act by stimulating specifics receptors on the surface of cells. The three ways in which there is over-stimulation of the targeted cell is either the cell comes into contact with a significant  amount of steroid or the receptor is defective and binds the steroid abnormally  tightly to the cell creating over-stimulation , or if there are too many receptors on the cell surface. So the way to reduce the effect of the steroid is either to remove or reduce the steroid in the specific individual or to block the receptor to the steroid at the cellular level.

Tamoxifen is an anti-estrogen.Tamoxifen essentially blocks the steroid ( estrogen ) receptor so the steroid has little effect on the cell.Tamoxifen is used in breast cancer patients who have estrogen sensitive tumors.Estrogen sensitive tumors are a subset of all the breast cancers.Tamoxifen does not work in non estrogen sensitive breast cancers.

The number of estrogen receptors in individuals with gynecomastia are not increased.In patients with gynecomastia the binding of estrogen to the existing breast tissue receptors is normal as is the cellular activity of the cells. It follows that there is no effect on gynecomastia from tamoxifen.
No drug ,tamoxifen included  , has no side effects.As physicians we balance the benefit of any treatment with the risks of the side effects of the treatment.In the absent of benefit  with only the side effects it would not be beneficial to use any drug.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I must echo what Drs. Jacobs and Pensler have said, specifically regarding medical advice from even the most "well-informed" supplement sales-people.  For one, their primary goal is to sell you supplements, and since there are few controls on the regulation of "supplements" (they are NOT drugs overseen by the FDA), research is not always so well-controlled either and claims may be overstated.  Additionally, I have long jokingly referred to the "bodybuilder's textbook of physiology," which may not be identical to the concepts of physiology that are presented in medical school.  There are a great many inaccuracies, which are perpetuated as a result of a single anecdotal event in the life of one or two bodybuilders with lots of friends. While there are certainly bodybuilders, trainers, sports nutritionists and so on with a great deal of knowledge and expertise, there is, unfortunately, a great deal more unsubstantiated claims circulating and propagated, particularly through the internet.

Caveat emptor!

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com