Author Topic: Advice from doctors would be much appreciated  (Read 2040 times)

Offline flatterchest

• Posting Member
I had gynecomastia surgery (lipo + gland excision) over a week ago. Recovery seems to be going well; however, soon after the surgery a hard mound has formed on the left side. I am hoping it is scar tissue and will break down over time. However, it feels so hard - almost like the muscle wall of the pec - but it is protruding. The skin around it is all bruised. I was just wondering if this is common? And what this is most likely to be? The right side is perfectly calm and healing so well. A year before this surgery, I had undergone simple lipo, which had reduced my gyne but not given me a flat chest. Could this earlier procedure have caused this weird, hard mound (the size of the hardened mound is about 1/4 of a fist)?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
This could be a localized hematoma (collection of blood).  Since your surgery was so recent, it would be wise to return to your surgeon to seek his opinion and possible treatment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline flatterchest

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr Jacobs for taking the time to get back to me. I was wondering if I should wait to see if the mound subsides, but from what you've said, it would be better for me to contact the surgeon just to be on the safe side.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, would def check with your surgeon about this.

Dr Jacobs

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
It sounds like a localized small hematoma.Typically these can be aspirated with a needle simply after 10 to 14 days. I agree with Dr.Jacobs you should contact your surgeon.If these are very small they may be left alone and will resolve with time.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline flatterchest

• Posting Member
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my query. I took your advice and contacted my surgeon, who examined me and confirmed that it was a small hematoma. It was too hard to be aspirated at the moment so hopefully it will subside with time. I just hope that it doesn't affect the end result!

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Just FYI.  A hematoma is initially solid clot.  It takes about 10-14 days for that clot to become liquified -- at which time a doctor can try to remove some of the liquid blood with a syringe.

If the hematoma is small, it should resolve by itself.  If it is larger, then removing some of the blood would be beneficial.

This is a call made by your surgeon.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024