Author Topic: Not happy with results  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Us295352

3 months ago I had surgery that consisted of tissue removal and liposuction. On the left side I had a small donut lift. My concern now is more on the left side with the crease or ripple. This week my doctor recommended a revision procedure of excise skin removal by means of a long incision on both sides of the nipple. I'm really against it because of the scar. Are they any other options I should consider including deep massage ?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Can't tell from the one posted photos, but if you have lax skin after a gyne procedure, there is no treatment for it except for excision of that lax skin, which will leave a permanent scar. There is no non-surgical treatment, massage, injection or anything else that will tighten the skin sufficiently.
The one advantage you may have, however, is that you appear to be an older man -- and one of the "benefits" of older age is that the scars tend to heal quickly and turn white fairly quickly -- so that they are less noticeable.  It would become a trade-off of scars for a tighter, more trim shape -- your choice.
Just food for thought.
Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Us295352

Dr. Jacobs- thank you for your reply. I am 46 years old. With being out 3 months post surgery, can I expect any changes that could improve the appearance?  I'll email you more photos from various angles. Thanks again for your help and everything you've done for others here. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
When surgeons perform gyne surgery with minimal scars, they depend upon the natural elasticity of the skin to provide "self-tightening."  That elasticity diminishes over time and is very individual.  It hinges on age, smoking history, sun exposure history, prior major weight gain, and your own genetics.
When I have a patient in your age category, I always advise them that there may be a little lax skin after surgery, usually in the form of a retained infra-mammary fold.  On an older man, this may not be perfect but it may be perfectly acceptable and normal looking.
At three months, you probably are looking at approximately 90% or more of the anticipated healing.  Six months is the outside range -- so why not wait another three months and then decide?  You have nothing to lose and you may come to accept the results as well.
If you are looking for an absolutely tight chest, then indeed you may have to have a skin tightening procedure and then accept the resultant scars.
Dr Jacobs

Offline Us295352

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I will wait an additional 3 months and see how I feel and look at that point. 

Thanks again !

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
3 months ago I had surgery that consisted of tissue removal and liposuction. On the left side I had a small donut lift. My concern now is more on the left side with the crease or ripple. This week my doctor recommended a revision procedure of excise skin removal by means of a long incision on both sides of the nipple. I'm really against it because of the scar. Are they any other options I should consider including deep massage ?
It still a bit early but revision without significant scars is certainly a possibility.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024