Author Topic: shaving before surgery?  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Samppo

If you have a very haire chest, is it recommended to shave it before the surgery so it can be easily for the liposuction and seeing the gland or it doesnt matter?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I never have my patients shave.  I will clip some hairs near the lower half of the nipple on the day of surgery -- that's all that is needed.  Having hair on your chest does not affect the ability to perform lipo or gland excision.
Good luck!
Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I do clip hair at the time of surgery- just before the prep. Shaving is no longer done in operating rooms due to the risk of nicking the skin - creating a small wound. Hair clippers are now used.   It is pretty universally recommended that the patient NOT shave the operative site the night before surgery, because tiny nicks in the skin could harbor bacteria. 
Dr. Pope
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
The American  College of Surgeons in the sixties looked at the issue of shaving patients Patients were divided into three groups 1)shaving the night before surgery 2) shaving at the time of surgery and 3) not shaving prior to surgery. The lowest statistically significant rate for infections were in the not shaving at all group. To be clear the group that did not shave had the lowest infection rate. The highest infection rate was in the group that shaved the night before surgery while the group that shaved at the time of surgery was in the middle.
We as surgeons do what gives us the best results,this may be different from one surgeon to the next. I do not have my patients shave.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:50:39 PM by DrPensler »
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
It is best not to shave the night before. If your surgeon does not want you to have any hair on your chest he/she will take care of it at the time of surgery. Shaving in advance can increase your risk of infection.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024