Author Topic: Post surgery scar tissue?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline LT29

Hi Dr's
I am 3 and a half months post surgery and the results have been very pleasing. I do have one concern about my right nipple. It is still slightly puffy and there is a lump under it. When I shower or get cold it also struggles to contract unless I stimulate it but my left one contracts on its own and is perfect when not contracted. Everything was very flat immediately post operation but then after about 10 days or so they both got puffy and slowly that has disappeared from my left nipple and slightly from my right however as I mentioned the right one is still slightly puffy and protruded. The right one is also still sensitive (numb) and still slightly sore if I apply pressure.  When I had my check-up with my surgeon a few months ago he said they are both fine and played down my fears and since then the left one has healed but the right one has always been worse. It ,must also be noted that I didn't have bad gynecomastia in the first place it was more a case of puffy nipples. I just want to know if you guys think it is scar tissue or not? And what I should do? I am hoping it is still healing however I know I am almost at that stage where it is the final product.
Thanks doctors :)

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If your nipples were originally flat and flush with the skin after surgery, and if your surgeon assures you that he took out as much gland as possible, then the appearance of tissue under the nipples may be scar tissue.  Even if gland were retained under the nipple, it doesn't grow quickly as scar tissue might grow.

The best treatment for scar tissue is cortisone-like drugs.  Best to speak with your surgeon to see if and when he might want to do an injection or if he has any other ideas for treatment.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline LT29

Thanks Dr Jacobs
Just wondering are there a few types of cortisone medication one can take like pills or cream or is it just the injections?
Also will the scar tissue eventually reduce and break up on its own or is treatment the only way?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Only cortisone injections would work -- no pills or creams.

Scar tissue often softens and re-models over time -- but that is very individual.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024