Author Topic: Complications percentage  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
Was just wondering what the realistic percentages are for a hematoma complication. Not sure if there is a number percentage but if any answer is available I would appreciate it. 

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Great question ,but the answer is not so straightforward. There is a general incidence of hematomas but really that reflects an  average presentation preoperatively. For instance the incidence of hematoma formation in someone with moderate to minimal gynecomastia with great skin elasticity is much lower than in someone with a large degree of tissue with a large excess of skin with poor elasticity. Aspirin use and other similar compounds dramatically alter the incidence of hematoma formation. Also hematoma formation is different than seroma formation.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
Thank you for your response.  It is greatly appreciated. I will be undergoing gynecomastia correction due to foolish usage of pro hormones   I have been reading a lot of information about the surgery. Perhaps too much haha. I am a healthy 36 year old and I don't smoke, drink, or use drugs and I haven't touched any supplements for more than 8 years.  I guess I am just curiously cautious and perhaps even worrying over nothing. I know anything can happen but I assume the risks are low given my age and overall health. Thanks again for your response and any advice or opinion you wish to give after my long winded response :)

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Usually individuals who use steroids for their anabolic effects have good skin elasticity so the likelihood of complications in general and hematoma in particular is very small 1-2%. Do not take Aspirin or similar compounds . A small hematoma is not a significant problem and can be left to resorb.Essentially it just goes away on its own. Larger hematomas may require drainage ,which again is not a big deal.

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
Cannot thank you enough for the reply. The information you and other doctors provide on this website is priceless and can't thank any of you enough for doing so. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods doc I will have a good vintage scotch with your name on it :)

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
One last question. My Dr has said I don't need to have any bloodwork or lab testing for this operation. Would it be wise for me to seek out a CBC test on my own or is it ok to move forward without the testing. I have never had any health problems and I am not allergic to anything that I know of  this is however my first ever surgery. My brother underwent gynecomastia correction about 6 years ago and he was fine with no issues. Not that that matters but thought I would throw it out there. 

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I absolutely agree with Dr. Pensler -- the average incidence of hematoma is very low.  But, that is in my hands -- and I have done thousands of procedures.  Other surgeons may have different incidences of hematoma.

As Dr. Pensler stated, small hematomas can be watched -- larger ones need to be opened and removed.  Neither is a huge deal -- as long as it is treated by your surgeon appropriately.
Good luck with your surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr Jacobs for your reply. I believe I worked myself up a bit with the possible risks involved in this surgery. But I need to realize that without bold decisions you won't achieve what you may desire. I of course don't expect perfection just some improvement   Fear of the unknown can be a powerful thing but I am realizing that in a safe environment and with a good surgeon this is a safe procedure. I appreciate you gentlemen taking time to respond it means a lot to me as well as the others asking for your advice and wisdom.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I agree with the others that in experiences hands the incidence of hematoma should be 1% or less. In my area, healthy men under the age of 40 do not need blood work before anesthesia.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024