Author Topic: How to massage scar tissue  (Read 3581 times)

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
Is there a specific way to do this most effectively? I feel like I don't know what I'm doing, my nipples are also still sensitive now at post-week 5 it can get painful if I press the hard knots.

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
Also forgot to ask, how long should each session be and how many times a day?

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
The hard knots are starting to become softer and softer. I'm hoping it's because of the massaging.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I find it interesting that many patients are concerned about what their chest feels like after surgery.  What is really important is how it looks -- smooth, symmetric, contoured, and even -- that is what's important!

There is a natural healing process after surgery, which includes swelling and firmness.  It takes Mother Nature many months for everything to settle down.  All too many of my patients are eager to start massaging as soon as possible.  Unfortunately, massaging too early in the healing process can actually cause additional swelling.

The only exception is when nipple elevation occurs fairly quickly after surgery.  This may not be scar tissue because it takes time for scar tissue to grow.  Rather, it may be residual tissue deliberately left under the nipple to support the nipple.  Immediately after surgery, there is surrounding swelling -- but as the swelling retreats, the nipple elevation remains.  In these cases, no amount of massage will help.

The advice I give my patients is to be patient and allow the body to go through the normal healing processes.  I will only encourage a patient to massage if there is a visible elevation of the nipples (usually scar tissue), which can begin 6-8 weeks after surgery.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:49:38 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
Yeah unfortunately there is quite the elevation of the nipples, it started already 4 to 5 weeks after surgery.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I generally have my patients begin massage three weeks after surgery. Circular motions throughout the chest area, at least 2-3 times a day for about ten minutes each time. You should check with your surgeon first.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
There are many ways to massage tissue after surgery. Many of the techniques work well. Each case is a bit different as you might guess sometimes massage is useful other times stretching works well sometimetimes a combination helps.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024