Author Topic: Is it possible to play moderate sports 4 weeks post-op  (Read 2176 times)

Offline mgonzal

• Posting Member
Hello,
I'm getting to be a frequent "poster" on this forum lol. Everyone's insight is extremely appreciated. I am a fairly active person and play on a competitive men's Volleyball team. I'm the team's main setter and of course it is one of THE most important positions. My team has been on a losing streak without me on the court. I feel bad that I had to make up a lie, due to the fact that I had surgery. I was embarrassed to tell them why I couldn't play, because I know what the outcome would have been since I put the team together (aka Team Captain).
Anyways, long story short...I told them I would play next week (Nov. 5th). This is just a day longer than the 4 week mark post-op. I still feel a little sore, but have been doing light stretches as well as massage daily. I do however, wake up every morning feeling pretty sore (any thoughts)? I'm obligated to get back on the court, fortunately I will see my PS this Friday (Oct. 30th). I'm know he can provide me the best answer(s), but I would like to hear what other peoples thoughts are?
FYI, I have minimal swelling/bruising only 2.5 weeks post-op and can already stretch (raise arms completely over my head, with minimal soreness), and I can massage deeply with minimal soreness, etc...

Offline johndean

• Posting Member
I had my gastric sleeve in Turkey and after 6 weeks I started some sports as my doctor recommended me. I think it depends from case to case

Offline Mujassad

• Posting Member
I'm no doctor but I would think doing explosive sports like volleyball would be a bad iea. I started doing some very light weight lifting after 4 weeks and didn't start serious weight lifting until almost 3 months had passed. Better to be safe than sorry.

Offline fairviewL

• Posting Member
Maybe you should pose that question to someone like your surgeon who is the expert in your situation  rather than a forum with a bunch of wannabe experts, present company included.  You paid the surgeon a lot of money and you solicit the opinion of posters you don't know, will never know and at the end of the day don't give a tinkers damn about anyone other than themselves.  I think you should go out and play and run the very real.risk of tearing the still mending tissue apart. Yup, I think that would be a swell idea. NOT. 
 Surgeons don't perform free do overs because of patients no compliance and corrective do overs are just that corrective and results are always less than ideal. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024