Author Topic: Does a post-op chest age better  (Read 1424 times)

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
It seems that most men as they age will start to get saggy chests and I don't mean gyno necessarily. Does a person with a succesfully treated gyno chest where most of the fat cells and glands were removed and skin got tightened, have more longevity to keep a flat chest?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Interesting question. I do not know of any data on this but my guess would be yes for the reasons you mentioned plus the decreased weight locally to reduce the gravitational pull.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Dr. Pensler.  There are no long-time studies addressing this situation.

I have been doing gyne surgery a long time and have not had any of my very early patients return for a long-term followup.  Therefore, I can only assume they are pleased with the long term results.

However, in general terms, as one ages, the skin loses its elasticity and it may droop slightly.  Just look at some of those recent pix of Schwartznegger and compare them to his young and very muscular photos.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I would agree with my colleagues. I do see some of my patients many years later, especially related to bodybuilding activities, and the decreased fat that follows a procedure certainly helps to minimize sagging of the skin and tissue. I have also treated patients who were treated many years earlier with only excision (by other surgeons), who needed to have the fat suctioned.  Had it been more comprehensively addressed with their first procedure, I think that it would have been less likely that they'd need additional surgery. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline flatness13

• Silver Member
Thanks for the answers. This should be a feel-good thread for all of us who have gotten the surgery.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
To the extent that their breast tissue is not there, and there is usually less fat after the treatment, I would say that "yes" they age a little better. BUT the skin will still lose the elasticity it would have otherwise. It's just that there is lees bulk beneath the skin. This is my un-scientific opinion. Unfortunately I don't think any of us (meaning experienced gynecomastia surgeons) ever see enough of our own patients back 20 years later to be more precise.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024