Author Topic: 11-14 Vials blood taken for blood test and bleeding after my Gyno surgery!-  (Read 2339 times)

Offline jay123

• Posting Member
Hello Doctors,
I would really appreciate your input here.  I have a gyno surgery booked in two days and I have a minor case which will involve incision and liposuction.  Anyway my surgeon requested few tests for pathology and I had to go to a clinic and give 11-14 Vials of blood for all the required tests.  I am a healthy 25 year old with no health problems. is it normal to take so much blood?? I feel too dizzy and  I have a surgery in two days.  Please advise if this is normal and should I be worried?
Thanks in advance,
Jay
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:41:52 PM by jay123 »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I don't typically order any blood work for young, healthy patients.  If an endocrine workup is necessary, that would be done in advance of the surgery, and that could involve a few tubes of blood, but not 11 - 14. Ask your doctor what tests were ordered and request results to know what was done.
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
You should check with your doc and ask to see the results. Perhaps he is ordering blood to check hormone levels. ?? I don't typically order bloodwork on healthy men <40 years old but perhaps there is a good reason. Ask.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline jay123

• Posting Member
Thanks Dr Rick and Dr Ronald,  I have asked for the blood test results as and I will post them here as soon as i get them.  Besides that, I just had my surgery 2 days ago.  I had bleeding as soon as i finished my surgery from my left chest and it continued for few hours.  I had to change my T shirt twice as my left chest side of the t shirt was soaked with blood.   However , the bleeding stopped  7 hours after the surgery when i woke up.   I have attached the picture to this message
On  Day 2 I went to change the dressings to the nurse and when she removed the dressings there was again some bleeding when she removed the dressings.  I spoke with the nurse and she said its normal to bleed after the surgery for 24-48 hours and it should stop after 48 hours.  I would really appreciate if either of you could tell me if such bleeding is normal after the surgery?  Just so you guys know he didnt use drains for the blood after the surgery
Thanks in advance!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I use a small incision in the armpit fold for a liposuction access site, and sometimes patients will have some drainage of the tumescent fluid and a little blood, and that is normal.  I don't use drains anymore--I used them long ago, but they really didn't do much.  If you don't have a lot of bruising and swelling on the side with the "bleeding," the staining on your shirt may be related to that fluid drainage and not an issue that will impact your long-term result. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024