Author Topic: post op scars - options for improvement  (Read 1268 times)

Offline pw19831

I posted previously asking about possibilities to remove/minimize scar lines around the nipple from a previous surgery (scar goes from 3 to 9, bottom half).  I realize it is not possible to remove the scars so I was wondering if it was possible to cover the scars with my own skin? Which I suppose would be some type of skin graft.  The scars are very thin and healed well but they bother me a lot so I am trying to determine any possible improvement.  Is there any type of skin graft procedure that would allow skin to be placed over the scar line, thus covering it?
A second question I have is regarding nipple removal.  If I were to have my nipples removed. What procedure is then available to make a fake nipple? Is it only tattoo'ing? Or is there some type of fake nipple that could be used?  Regarding the tattoo'ing are they always noticeably fake or can it be done well enough to seem real?
Thank you 

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
If your scars are very thin and well-healed as you say, there is no need for scar revision. And a skin graft would be more noticeable than a well-healed surgical scar.
As for removing your nipple and replacing it with a fake one, I'm not sure where you're going with that.  Sounds like you need to be happy with what you have.
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Heartily agree with Dr. Pope.  Stick with the scars you have -- as described, they seem to be as good as possible.  Bear in mind that scars do tend to improve over 6-12 months -- so be patient.  Some of your other ideas simply don't hold water -- the results would be far far worse than what you have.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024