Author Topic: Hormone Therapy and Gyno question.  (Read 1452 times)

Offline pufnips99

• Posting Member
I've been diagnosed with Low T. (340serum@26 years old) I'm currently taking anti-depressants and hoping to ween off them by starting Testosterone Replacement Therapy. I also have moderate gynocomestia from a steroid cycle when I was younger.
I was wondering if I should stabilize my hormones first before doing the Gyno surgery, or if it would be possible to just get the surgery over and done with (would prefer this) THEN work on my hormones. 
My fear is that I may get the surgery and the gyno will re-appear when I start messing with my System again. I hope to be around 700 Serum Test, but the levels do take a while to stabilize. 
Thank you.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The Hormones should be fully stabilized first. 
Unless you are actually being treated by an Endocrinologist, I would be sceptical of the Low T diagnosis.  That seems to be the pet diagnosis of this time for conditions normally associated with ageing.
Keep in mind that your body will try to control the levels of Androgens in your body and, if an excess is perceived the body will, through a process called Aromatase,    Convert the surplus Testosterone into Estrogen.  One of the leading causes of breast growth is the taking of Testosterone.  Not only that, but if a surplus of Testosterone develops, the normal production of Testosterone will be reduced.
If you are under the care of an Endocrinologist,  Follow your dosage schedule to the letter and do not miss any scheduled Lab work.  Obviously adjusting your Hormones is not a DIY job.   
Grandpa Dan

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
As you know exogenous anabolic steroids can cause gynecomastia. The use of  steroids may cause recurrence of  gynecomastia after a patient has had surgery. It is preferable to have a stable hormone level prior to surgery that is monitored by an M.D. with an expertise in he area. 
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You should definitely address the hormone levels before having the surgery.  And after you've corrected the problem, you need to monitor it closely to avoid fluctuations that might cause recurrence of your gynecomastia.  It's not uncommon in men who use anabolic steroids in their teens to suffer from hypogonadism as they age, since they may have adversely impacted their development.  As a result, hormone replacement may be required.  This is not a cycling process, but rather a continual treatment regimen that should be managed by an endocrinologist, urologist or PCP who is well versed in management of these issues.  Additionally, you should avoid "testosterone boosting" supplements, as these may impact the medication dosing.  
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024