Author Topic: Uneven chest  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Ramkri

I had Gynecomastia surgery 5 weeks ago; Since then, one side of my chest seems bigger and somewhat puffy around the nipple;The other side the nipple hangs lower and is hard all over to the touch as if there is still scar tissue; on this flat side they had to go back in during surgery to remove excess blood, and placed a drainer on that side. Is this normal, or should I be concerned that I am having uneven healing or fluid buildup on the other side. My follow up isn't until Dec 13. 

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
It is not unusual for there to be asymmetry to some degree with swelling and healing after  surgery. The differences resolve with time typically. The assumption I am making is the surgery was done correctly.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As noted, some mild asymmetry in the early post-operative period is common.  By five weeks post-operatively, that should be resolving unless the condition was asymmetric pre-operatively, in which case there might always be some mild asymmetry.  Bleeding on one side can cause prolonged swelling.  That might also account for prolonged asymmetry.  

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery