Author Topic: Surgeon judgement on anabolic steroids  (Read 1137 times)

Offline DonW

Hi,
I've got mild puberty gyno (gland and a little fat deposit).
Even though it's mild I'd like to improve the look for bodybuilding competitions, having a flat and powerful looking chest is critical to winning the judges over and is one of the most important muscles.
Question is - when I visit the surgeon will he refuse to treat me if I'm using anabolic steroids? I have to use them for these competitions as they are not possible without, and in my case the gyno was not caused by steroids.
Future gyno I wouldn't let be affected by steroids either as my sports doctor always keeps my estrogen in range.
But yeah - questions is will the surgeon treat me if supplementing with testosterone? Or should I not even bother making appointment?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If you remain on steroids, there is an effect on blood clotting.  I had a patient recently who denied (and later admitted) that he had continued on steroids.  The result was significant bleeding during and after surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DonW

Thanks 
I accept will need to come off before/during the surgery. But wish to use again in future. 
Was just curious if any doctors refuse patients that are supplementing testosterone since it can be seen as a hormonal cause of recurrence. 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Many of us treat patients whose condition resulted from steroids and pro-hormones, and it's much easier to manage the patients around the time of surgery if we have accurate information from our patients about behaviors that might impact their peri-operative course.  With that in mind, I also recommend that patients be off of their steroids prior to surgery, primarily to avoid bleeding complications.  Also understand that recurrence is possible, since there is still a small amount of gland left behind the areola, and this tissue will grow if stimulated.  
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024