Author Topic: need advise  (Read 906 times)

Offline navinuae

Hi,
Can anybody, who had undergone the surgery , would explain the after effects.Is there any adverse effects on the sensitivity around the chest??
Regards,

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I tell all my patients that the skin of the chest will be temporarily numb. Most of the feeling returns by 3 months but it can certainly take up to a year for all of the feeling to return. There is alwys a risk of having some permanent numbness remain but I have never had any of my patients come back to complain about it. I also warn my patients that there could be permanent numbness of the nipple. I have had a few patients that were concerned about that before their surgery but they were happy when the feeling returned. Again, I have not had any guy complain about it.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
As noted, there is temporary numbness throughout the chest, which typically resolves by 2 to 3 months.  Nipple sensation also comes back in most patients. If they've undergone glandular excision, however, it's likely that they have had the deep branch of the 4th intercostal nerve cut in the process, and this nerve branch provide erotic sensibility of the male nipple.  As a result, for patients who value this sensation, they should be warned that they will likely lose it after the surgery.  Interestingly, while literature describes a number in the range of 50% of males deriving erotic pleasure from nipple stimulation (I looked this up a number of years ago), among gynecomastia patients, this seems very rare.  I think it's because patients with gynecomastia don't really like attention called to their chests, and as a result of avoiding attention, they don't develop the sensitivity that they then would lose with the surgery.  I've only had a few patients say anything over the years. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I concur with my colleagues.  Very very few gynecomastia patients are overly concerned about erotic nipple sensation.  Most of the time, sensation does return to the chest skin and nipples over a few months.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024