Author Topic: Getting Nipples Shaved Down?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Justsaynotopuffynips

• Posting Member
Greetings,
I first posted on the forum regarding my puffy nipples, and I'm glad to say that I went ahead with the surgery almost three weeks ago, and I'm extremely glad that I did.
Puffy nipples are definitely a thing of the past.  However, I'm contemplating taking things a step further and getting the nipples shaved down.  On the day of my surgery, my surgeon threw the idea my way, and at the time, I gave him a firm "no."  He told me that some guys like to get the nipples cut down, so they don't poke through a tight shirt.
I know I'm not nearly looking at the final result at three weeks, but I'm considering getting the nipple cut down on one side at least because the nipple on my right side sticks out a bit through a tight white shirt.
This could be normal as I had mild gyno my entire adult life until now, and I haven't looked at other guys' nipples to see if they poke out.
I guess my question (I plan to ask my surgeon too) is what do other surgeons think of shaving down the nipple to make it flatter?  Has anyone else on the board had their nipples cut down?
The thought of it freaks me out a bit.  However, I see why my surgeon had suggested it to me.
Any tips are much appreciated!
PS I had a hematoma drained on the side with the nipple that pokes through.  He put a small slit at the bottom of my areola, then drained it by hand, and the process was a bit rough (that was four days ago).  Perhaps that inflamed the nipple, and it will take some time to settle down?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Some guys have enlarged nipple (stalks) as well as gynecomastia.

When I examine guys with both problems, I often discuss and offer the possibility of nipple reduction.  This is done very commonly -- sometimes together with the gyne surgery and sometimes afterwards under local anesthesia as a stand alone procedure.

Speak to your surgeon about this.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

• Posting Member
Thank you as always for the advice Dr. Jacobs.  I spoke to the surgeon, and he said it should calm down.  I can't tell if it's just swelling, but the nipple is much larger on one side (circumference more so than length).  A new problem is forming on the other side under the incision.  It's a lumpy mass that's distorting the nipple.

At a few days past three weeks after surgery, I'm kind of missing the comfort of my slightly puffy nipples as opposed to what I'm looking at now (asymmetry, jagged lumpiness beneath one nipple, and a permanently big hard nipple).  Going to the beach is certainly out of the question this summer.
I know everyone says it takes months or up to a year to see the results.  If my body manages to sort everything out, I'll be amazed.  To anyone else going through the recovery, I wish you all the best.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
A number of patients benefit and/ or desire  reduction of the nipple height.I like to do this as a secondary brief procedure under local in a treatment room.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Nipple reduction is not a big deal at all. I would probably wait till at least 6-8 weeks after your gyno surgery just to let some swelling resolve. 
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

• Posting Member
Thank you for the advice.  It sounds like nipple reduction is a fairly light procedure.  At nearly five weeks, I'm starting to get paranoid about my choice in surgeons.  He has glowing reviews here, but I'm uncertain of the final result.  I should post some photos tomorrow.  He said everything will work out in the end, but I'm highly skeptical when it comes to seeing the body work magic.
My right areola/nipple is still puffy and looks like the surgery almost never happened while the left side has a strange bulging ridge at the site of the incision.  The asymmetry between the nipples is weird too since they weren't like that before surgery.  I did see the glandular tissue (it was white) that he removed.  Perfect results weren't my expectations, but I did hope to look better than before at nearly five weeks after the surgery.
I don't want to review him yet since I do like him as a person.  I just hope he didn't make matters worse for me in the end.  Please excuse my rant. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024