Author Topic: Is this what I think it is?  (Read 864 times)

Offline abcdefg120

• Posting Member
When I was about 13 I found small hard lumps under each nipple but at that time I didnt know what it was. I was very slim back then. There were no other noticeable signs of anything out of the ordinary and after a few years the lumps gradually got smaller then cleared completely. I had never heard of gynecomastia until recently but I'm pretty sure now thats what it was back then.

Now Im 60 and still quite slim (about 70kg) but recently ive become concerned that the gynecomastia might be coming back.

Please dont get me wrong, Im not panicking about the amount of swelling at the moment but  I'm alarmed how quickly this (admittedly quite small amount of) swelling has occurred. I have photo from less than12 months ago on holiday in which I have pretty much no fat or swelling of the chest at all.

The tissue surrounding the areola feels a little ropey and lumpy so I suspect this may not just be fat. Ive also notice that one side is slightly larger than the other. I dont have any signs of puffy nipples but my breast now appear to me to be taking on a more feminine shape and as I'm quite slim the change is shape is just as noticeable to me as the the change in size. There is no lump (as I had when I was a teenager) under the areola though. I sometimes get a mild aching feeling in both sides but I wouldn't describe it as painful (I can actually feel it right now).

Im pretty active and healthy and Ive never used recreational drugs of any kind. These day I drink 3 or 4 bottles of wine per week and about 5 cups of coffee with skimmed milk per day. I did take antidepressants (Sertraline) for a short time about 18 month ago but stopped using it as I believe it was the cause of a horrible hives rash which was eventually cured after about 9 months using steroid creams and strong antihistamine.

Is this the very early stages of gynecomasta?
How quickly can this develop at my age?
Is there anything I can I do to reduce the symptoms?
(sorry about the photo upside down etc)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:17:22 PM by pcs1000 »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Gynecomastia occurs during three common life periods: 1)  during the postpartum period due to residual estrogen that travels across the placenta 2) during puberty, when hormones are all over the place 3) in "maturity"--which 60 would qualify, when testosterone levels drop and body fat levels increase.  You should have your primary care doctor measure your hormone levels (testosterone, free testosterone, estradiol, prolactin) to see where things stand.  You might benefit from hormone replacement. You may be able to limit the extent of development of your gynecomastia and avoid the need for surgery. 
Good luck. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline abcdefg120

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr Silver, I appreciate you time.
You seam to have have no doubt about this being gyno which has come as a a bit of a shock to be honest given that this only started to show within the last 12 months.

What adverse effects can I expect using hormone replacement therapy. I wonder if the benefits out way the risks? I have no idea how quickly this can develop further. f I just left it for a few more months or so to see haw bad it got, would it be more difficult or perhaps impossible to treat with HRT? 

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
If you're otherwise healthy and experiencing symptoms of low testosterone--and actually have a low level (you may be normal and this conversation may be less relevant)--you should discuss the option of replacement with your primary care doctor to decide if the potential risks are worth it.  If you're only dealing with gynecomastia, there are alternatives to correct that without embarking on hormone replacement, and as you've observed, correcting levels may or may not impact the appearance of your chest.  The in-depth discussion of HRT is really beyond the scope of this forum and my expertise, but it's worth looking into. 

Offline abcdefg120

• Posting Member
If you're otherwise healthy and experiencing symptoms of low testosterone--and actually have a low level (you may be normal and this conversation may be less relevant)--you should discuss the option of replacement with your primary care doctor to decide if the potential risks are worth it.  If you're only dealing with gynecomastia, there are alternatives to correct that without embarking on hormone replacement, and as you've observed, correcting levels may or may not impact the appearance of your chest.  The in-depth discussion of HRT is really beyond the scope of this forum and my expertise, but it's worth looking into.

It is only gynecomastia that is a problem otherwise (as far as I know) I'm perfectly healthy and happy. What alternatives to HRT are there please?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024