Author Topic: What do you think? Would I benefit from wearing a bra?  (Read 5481 times)

JustJer

Hello everyone, I am new here.  I have been reading / browsing through these forums, and I have learned a lot from everyone.  I wanted to ask what you think.  My breasts move around a lot while jogging or during any physical activities.  When I wear a t-shirt my nipples stand out very much.  They also get sore while exercising.  Do you think I would benefit from wearing a bra?  I don’t want to get surgery.  I measure 38 below my breasts and 42 over my nipples.  I am 34 years old, 6’ 4” and 220 lbs.  let me know what you think.  Thanks Guys!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:42:44 PM by JustJer »

gmast

The bouncing may cause the nipples to get tender, so a bra can help with that.  Also, with the movement the nipples can rub against shirts which can also make them tender, and a bra can help with that.  Some folks here are bothered if their nipples show through their T-Shirts.  A bra adds another (often thick) layer, so they don't show.  I don't see it as a big deal.  Some think that a bra keeps the jiggle down, and it makes them less noticeable.  However, wearing a normal bra tends to reshape them to a more female shape, and they project further, which can make them more noticeable.  The bouncing (especially during exercise) may cause the nipples to get tender, so a bra can help with that.  Also, with the movement the nipples can rub against shirts which can also make them tender.  With the measurements you've given, you are about a 42AA.  They don't make bras that size.  You could try some XXL or XXXL compression/sports bras.  Many people find them uncomfortable.  If you lost about 15 pounds, you would lose an inch or two around your chest.  That would firm them up and they wouldn't bounce near as much.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I prefer to refer people asking this question to a site called:  007b. 

It is a site primarily for women. Along with a lot of pictures showing the gamut of breast sizes and shapes almost all of which could be cosidered normal.  There is also iformation about bras. It should be required reading for all people regardless of gender. 
Grandpa Dan

Offline MarcoB

• Silver Member
With the measurements you've given, you are about a 42AA.  They don't make bras that size.

[Edit:  Amoena does.]

I've seen ones like eBay item #303508353573 which come in up to 46AAA, but I don't have any experience with them.  [Edit: There's something very wrong with their sizing.  They seemed large, so I tried an AA, and what came was at least a B; so I ordered again, a AAA this time, and what came was at least a C, my wife's size.]

You could try some XXL or XXXL compression/sports bras.  Many people find them uncomfortable.
I started having severe nipple fissures from the buzzing of my snug jerseys' tiny wrinkles in the wind while riding bike even before I realized that breast was growing.  That was three years ago.  I tried the NipEAZE nipple stickers, but they only worked initially, remedying the fissure problem; but after some growth, I needed more help to avoid soreness and irritation even when not riding bike.

I found that a few male marathon runners were recommending a sports bra, and I finally gave in and first got the Fruit of the Loom type 9012 cheap pull-over sports bras that are very, very plain.  Wow, what a relief, and to more than just the nipple!  My underbust is 37", and I do best with their size 40.  Still, they, like a few others I've tried, kind of bite into the lower fronts of my shoulders a bit.  I tried their 9036 with the thin straps, which was better in that respect and therefore more comfortable, but they're a little harder to hide.  (They come in packs of three; and as far as colors go, the gray seems to hide the best.  They don't have skin color.)  I also tried a few other types, including some super cheap ones from China that worked well, in size L or XL.  Some L's I've gotten were too small, and some XL's were too large, as the manufacturers don't all work to the same size standards.  Except on the bike, I mostly wear the Jockey Air Seamfree for its comfort and that I can hide it well.

These are all bralettes though, and basically smash my breast down; and although they prevent friction on the inside of my shirts and hold it in place better, I think it would be more comfortable if I could find a bra that has an actual cup, or at least gives my breast some room without being so loose everywhere else that the rest moves around.  I have a few more types coming.  Hanes has been having big discounts recently, so I have a couple coming from them this week.

The problem with ordering really cheap ones from China on eBay is that it takes so long for them to arrive, that you decide "This one's perfect [or will be in the next size up or down] so I'll get three more," and by that time the same one is not available anymore, so you have to start over.  It's a bit frustrating.  I have not gotten my nerve up to make an appointment with a lingerie shop and get fitted.  Besides the obvious, I suspect they wouldn't have anything in my size, so it would be a waste of everyone's time.

I tried posting a couple of pictures with this, but it wouldn't post.  I tried several times, even after having removed the pictures, and the "Post" button just gave a tiny window that said "Ok" but otherwise did nothing.  What's the secret?  I will not put them on my website to link to!  Now I've logged out and back in and we'll see if I can get just the text to post.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:39:09 AM by MarcoB »

JustJer

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I've attached a few more pictures. (hopefully they will post) These pictures are more of a side profile.  I am starting to wonder if I even have gynecomastia?  Do I?  I think a sports bra might help with the soreness as well as helping to hide my pointy nipples.  Someone mentioned that losing a few pounds may help, but I have recently lost 10 lbs, and it only seems to make them stand out more.  Any additional information or suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
Looking at those pictures, I wouldn't call you fat.  Looks like gyne to me.  And it's common with gyne that losing weight will make them more prominent.  I can't really see such detail in those pictures, but are your nipples puffy?  Because that's a classic sign of "true" gyne (some here don't like the idea of differentiating), it happens when the glands push the nipple out.  You can also feel for them.  If you can feel the glands behind your nipples (by squeezing, not pressing in) then it's pretty much confirmed.

JustJer

Thank you for your comments Johannk.  Sorry about the poor picture quality, I have to reduce the file size way down in order to get them to post.  I have attached one more picture.  My nipples are puffy almost all the time.  I can definitely feel the gland behind my nipples.   There are so many different methods out there for measuring to find your bra size.  What one do you all use?  I have read how wearing a bra has helped others, so maybe I'll give it a try.  I will probably start out with an XL or XXL sports bra.  Any suggestions on brand or style of bra?

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
Yep, that pretty much confirms it.

As for measurement, the general advice is to use the calculator over at ABraThatFits.  It uses more measurements than the usual (loose underbust, snug underbust, tight underbust, standing bust, leaning bust and lying bust), and also considers gender (referring to actual biological gender here), to get the most accurate result.  But of course it's still not as accurate as a formal fitting.

gmast

Some people have recommended using the method from ABraThatFits.  I highly recommend that you do not use that method.  It is wrong for most brands of bras for someone your size.  It would have you wearing a 38D, which is ridiculous.  The best way is to use the method that the manufacturer of the bra uses.  Most of them seem to go by using the measurement in inches under your bust, rounded up to an even number, plus four for the band size.  Then the difference between the band size and the chest measurement to come up with the cup size.  another common method is to use the measurement under your armpits for the band size.  Many of the retailers will give directions for determining the size, but they don't match the manufacturers, and then in the comments you'll find a lot of people complaining that the band is too tight or the cups run big, because they bought the wrong size because they used the wrong method.

As far a losing weight, when I dropped 15 pounds I lost two inches around my waist, two inches under the breasts, one inch around the breasts, and two inches above the breasts.  So the breasts are smaller, and seem to have a more feminine shape, but they don't stand out under my shirts, as the shirts aren't tight now.  They also don't move as much.

JustJer

Some people have recommended using the method from ABraThatFits.  I highly recommend that you do not use that method.  It is wrong for most brands of bras for someone your size.  It would have you wearing a 38D, which is ridiculous.  The best way is to use the method that the manufacturer of the bra uses.  Most of them seem to go by using the measurement in inches under your bust, rounded up to an even number, plus four for the band size.  Then the difference between the band size and the chest measurement to come up with the cup size.  another common method is to use the measurement under your armpits for the band size.  Many of the retailers will give directions for determining the size, but they don't match the manufacturers, and then in the comments you'll find a lot of people complaining that the band is too tight or the cups run big, because they bought the wrong size because they used the wrong method.

As far a losing weight, when I dropped 15 pounds I lost two inches around my waist, two inches under the breasts, one inch around the breasts, and two inches above the breasts.  So the breasts are smaller, and seem to have a more feminine shape, but they don't stand out under my shirts, as the shirts aren't tight now.  They also don't move as much.
Thank you gmast for these pointers.. I agree, I don’t think I am a 38D.  I’ll try the method of measuring under my arm pits for the band size, in my case that is 40, and with my bust measuring 42, that would make me a 40B or so.  I think 40B is more realistic.  Also, most sports bras have a range of sizes that they’ll fit, so I’ll try to find something within the 40B range.  I will keep working on my weight loss goals... hope it will help and not make them appear any bigger as they have been.  I’ll be buying my first bra today, my wife said she would go with me!  Will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:28:50 PM by JustJer »

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
Here's a site that might help:
brasforsmallcups.com
They do have 46aa and a bunch of other not-standard sizes.
It deals with what most of us have: large band sizes and cups small relative to the band size.

JustJer

So, just wanted to give you guys an update.  My wife and I went out and bought me some bras last night.  I also got fitted, and the method they used was measuring just under my armpits for the band size.  I measured at 40 inches. My first impressions are very good.  I like the comfort and support they give.  Still haven’t worn them all day, but so far I am impressed.  They seem to fit well, and they keep my nipples from showing through my shirts.  I got a Warner No Side Effect T-Shirt Bra, size 40B, and two other bralettes from Danskin and Chantelle size XL. They feel amazing, and I plan to give them a try.  Let me know what you think?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:43:38 AM by JustJer »

Offline paulpark21

• Bronze Member
The bras look good on you.  The top one (underwired?) looks like a good fit.  I like underwires the most, they give the best support.  The other two look good, but I'm not crazy about sports bras.  But if you are comfortable with them, then that's all that counts.

It's nice to have a wife that is comfortable with your wearing of a bra.

JustJer

Thank you, Paulpark21.  After wearing these for a few days I couldn’t imagine going without them.  The first one is wire free, but I do have a black underwire minimizer. (Attached Picture)  I too think that an underwire provides superior support.  I’ll definitely be buying more underwire bras! 

I don’t know what I would do without my wife being there for me, helping me through all of this.  She has been very understanding.   

Thanks also to everyone on this forum for their help and advice!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 04:42:01 PM by JustJer »

Offline SideSet

You look great in a bra. I am not surprised you already feel much more comfortable and confident in a bra.  At a B cup, your breasts are the same size as many women’s.  You also have feminine, puffy nipples. 

Feels good to have everything nicely held in place, doesn’t it?  And a much better look without all that movement on your chest. Do you prefer the rounded, uplifted look a bra gives you?  I find it more polished and attractive. 

So nice your wife knows you need to wear a bra like her and other women. What is her bra size?

Have fun building your bra collection

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024