Author Topic: Hypothetical! What would you do in case of breast cancer?  (Read 974 times)

Offline gotgyne

Well, this is a difficult question. All of us know that the possibility of developing breast cancer for people with gynecomastia ist not completely out of the way. Yet it is very rare. But let us assume this rare case. Would you if a mastectomy of one breast is inevitable use a mastectomy bra with breast form or opt for a bilateral mastectomy and "go flat"? For men with gynecomastia it is very unusual to get a surgical breast reconstruction after a mastectomy, thus my question. My bra size is 38C or 40B, depending on the bra, so with only one breast I would be 'lopsided'. For this reason I would use a mastectomy bra with breast form for one side. What about you?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 07:54:08 PM by gotgyne »
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
Iwould probably do the mastectomy bra with a form. I had posted awhile back about men getting mamograms. interesting discussion

Busted (and happy)

I have had many years with flat chest.
Like all here I now have two nice breasts that I didn't actually want but have come to like.
I am not sure about the psychology of having only one.
I would certainly cancer hit hard - radical mastectomy, radiotherapy and chemo. You really only get the choice once. If you choose to treat more conservatively and it spreads it is usually too late for radical treatment and complete cure
I  might be tempted to get rid of both, but if there were no strong medical contraindications I might keep the unaffected breast as solidarity with my wife  - a breast cancer survivor (now single breasted) and healthy after more than 20 years
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:48:34 AM by Busted (and happy) »

Orb

kind of a strange question.  Thought.  Having had, survived cancer twice, I would have to say no one knows until confronted with the question.  It's not about having and accepting breast and what else life throws at us.  It's about health and listening your healthcare provider.  End of discussion.

Offline gotgyne

My favourite teacher at high school often said: "There are no strange questions, only strange answers." (In fact he said "silly questions" and "silly answers"). He always encouraged us to ask. The matter why I ask is that i knew an man in his 60s. He was a member of the same hiking club but not quite a lucky one, since he got prostate cancer and had to take testosterone blockers for a longer time which enlarged his gynecomastia he had since he was a teenager. In the end he developed cancer in his left breast. After a mastectomy he was what I would call 'lopsided'. During winter we often shared a mixed sauna with other members of the club. I admired his courage to show all of us his 'monoboob' on the one side and the scar on the other side. He was cancer free until his death at 82 when he died of a heart attack.
Later I asked myself what I would have done. Only in the case of BRCA1/BRCA2-mutations, which can also occur in men, a bilateral mastectomy is the best prophylaxis. Without these mutations there is no advantage to remove the other breast too. As I wrote, my bra size is 38C, so everyone could see that one breast is prominent and the other not.

Offline leosud

• Bronze Member
For me ?
Cancer treatment, surgery then reconstruction to return to my current breasts or even give more volume to my two daughters ... the natural and the silicone.
In France it is possible especially if for a transgender person MtF.

Online Johndoe1

I have been thinking about this since this was posted and at first not sure how I would answer it. But at this point, I think I would just opt for a double mastectomy. Breast implants bring up there own set of health issues as well as some kind of revision or replacement in 10 to 15 years. Don't know if I want to have to go under the knife for that and what if one ruptures? Depending on whether they are silicone or water, you may have other health issues and while preparing for surgery being lop sided. While I have no desire to lose what I have, I think if faced, I would opt for a double mastectomy and call it a day. Of course if I were actually faced with it, who knows how I would actually react.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024