Author Topic: Comments & Opinions? Pre/post surgery  (Read 6489 times)

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
Hi Guys. I've had this condition since I was about 11 (I am now 20). At 13 years old I was 142kgs and for the last 2 years I have been a steady 75kgs. My body fat percentage is close to bodybuilder level now.

However, as Identified by my doctor every couple of years, I have glandular lumps under my breasts. I bodybuild quite a lot, mainly because I thought it would hide & absorb into my chest, however that is not the case, my pecs are so big they tower over my nipples, which are approximately 2 inches out from my chest and 3 inches wide - looks like I have breasts below my pecs! (or 2 sets of pecs!)

I guess I've come to see the humour in it - I've never taken my shirt off in public that I can remember, despite the fact that in the last 2 years (since I lost weight) my muscles are huge.

I can see from these boards that many people are going through the same sort of pain. Seeing as my tissue is glandular (I have a six-pack and everything, not an ounce of fat) after a long time procrastinating I'm 80% decided to have an operation for it.

It's a hard desicion for me, because I'm a genetic worrier (got it from my mother)... although it would be great to feel normal again. I have to quit smoking, but I did lose 60kgs and quit drinking and fatty food, so I guess anything's possible.

Now some questions if anyone could spare a though:

1. How long after the operation will I be able to go back to bodybuilding?

2. I've had a very active sex life for years, and I don't want to destroy the results of the operation. How long should I wait? I also have reservations about losing feeling in my nipples, which I was told would happen.

3. How about serious complications? I worry so much it isn't funny, so I guess being informed is the best I can do. Hospital dramas on TV don't really help.

4. The operation I am having is purely to remove gland, as there is less than 0.09% fat under there. I would assume there would be a large hole in my chest after removing 3x3inches of gland - will my nipples sit on my pecs or will they still be sagging?

5. What about misshapen nipples/uneven chest/dying tissue?

I can provide pictures if anyone is interested in seeing. I've been living with it for so long, and being a charismatic person I can joke aobut it and see the humour in it, although on the inside I hurt - which I would imagine is the same as a lot of people.

Thanks so much everyone, I appreciate!

Laters,

« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 01:47:38 PM by OddMuscles »

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
Very helpful information thejuice! Thank you - I have been to two different surgeons, and the one I have just seen seemed the most promising, although he didn't show me too many photos...

What about losing feeling in my nipples? Oh and here are some photos.... any comments are welcome.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oddmuscles2005/album?.dir=/af6c
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 04:11:36 PM by OddMuscles »

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
hello oddmuscles

thejuice has pretty much answered your questions.  I'd just like to add that male chest reduction is deemed a pretty minor surgical procedure in relative terms.  It is much more to do with the experience and skills of the surgeon you use because he or she has to be able to 'sculpt' each patient to give as normal a look as possible, whilst fulfilling an agreed expectation.

Looking at your pics, your gynaecomastia is a little different from many guys because the nipple looks a little out of place from the pec.  This is something you need to talk about in detail in initial consultations with each surgeon you see.

I am due my surgery on January 20 next year.  I go to the gym regularly but will be quitting one week before surgery and don't anticipate returning until four weeks post-op.  In that resting time, I will do as much power-walking as possible to keep up the CV aspect to my training.

Serious complications are not common with type of surgery.  All procedures carried out under general anaesthetic carry a small risk on young healthy patients - this is something your surgeon can cover with you.  Two other known risks are infection - which is very rare and most patients are prescribed an antibiotic anyway as a prophylaxis.  The other is risk of hematomo strait after surgery, where excess internal bleeding under the skin can give you a very bruised look.  It can also stall the healing process - but it is treatable and should not affect the end result.

In terms of breast tissue removal is concerned, again an experienced surgeon should know what and how much tissue to remove to give an even and balanced contour to the chest on the individual patient.

Lastly, no matter how good your surgeon is or how well the operation goes, ultimately, no one can predict the final outcome six months after surgery.  If you have done your homework, selected a reputable and experienced surgeon with a high caseload of male chest reduction and he or she has given you a best and worst case scenario in order to manage your expectation, they you have every chance of reaching an agreed result.

You need to know what happens if the desired result is not reached.  How will you surgeon resolve this issue?  How have they dealt with unhappy patients in the past?  Do they do revision surgery for free as many do in the UK or would you have to pay for further treatment even if an agreed level of work was not carried out?

Ultimately, only the surgeons you are seeing can give you the definitive answers to your questions, but I hope what I and others have said helps.

Best wishes.

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member

Looking at your pics, your gynaecomastia is a little different from many guys because the nipple looks a little out of place from the pec.  This is something you need to talk about in detail in initial consultations with each surgeon you see.

I talked to him, and he explained that the procedure he was doing would remove all the gland under the nipple, then the nipple and skin around it would be sewn to the chest wall on top of my ribs, so the nipple would be at the bottom of my pec. Is this a normal procedure?

I am due my surgery on January 20 next year.  I go to the gym regularly but will be quitting one week before surgery and don't anticipate returning until four weeks post-op.  In that resting time, I will do as much power-walking as possible to keep up the CV aspect to my training.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how long it will be until I completely heal. Then I'll work my way up, I guess! I do have to quite smoking but, and that will probably be this weekend (1 month before)

Serious complications are not common with type of surgery.  All procedures carried out under general anaesthetic carry a small risk on young healthy patients - this is something your surgeon can cover with you.  Two other known risks are infection - which is very rare and most patients are prescribed an antibiotic anyway as a prophylaxis.  The other is risk of hematomo strait after surgery, where excess internal bleeding under the skin can give you a very bruised look.  It can also stall the healing process - but it is treatable and should not affect the end result.

Well these seem like minor complications compared to the desired end result. Being myself, I always worry that I'll get the short end of the stick and something will go horribly wrong! I guess I'll have to do it anyway and take what comes...

Ultimately, only the surgeons you are seeing can give you the definitive answers to your questions, but I hope what I and others have said helps.

Best wishes.

Extremely so. I just wonder what the next step will be? Will I come here with a success story or wish I never had the procedure done? I'm not sure, are there any Aussies around here that have experience with surgeons?

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 02:36:04 PM by OddMuscles »

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
If you look here, I've provided a better front picture... you can see how different it is. I think my pecs look a little too big in that picture, it must be the lighting. Looking at the photos myself I still can't believe my chest looks that horrible - I've been living with it for so many years and still can't come to terms with the fact that it's me!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oddmuscles2005/detail?.dir=af6c&.dnm=c2bc.jpg&.src=ph

And another thing - I am worried s*tless about anasthesia...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 11:16:02 PM by OddMuscles »

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
My surgeon claims that all is needed is to "sew" the nipples and surrounding skin onto the chest wall, and my chest will have a normal appearance. I dont mind that solution, ANYTHING is better than what I have been facing for the last 10 years. So I guess if I survive the surgery I'll be involved in telling people about my results and recovery... ???

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member

Well, there's obviously something under your nipples to give them the shape that they have.  Do you know what will be done with the matter under the nipples?  Did you surgeon imply the extraction of any tissue or suction of fat?

No, he said I don't have any fat at all. He said it would be 100% gland excision... and he'll just get rid of that.

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
Sorry, I didn't realize that your doctor was going to do a glandular excision.  I would agree that you appear to need the excision more than lipo.  I had some fat in my chest, but apparently it was mostly gland, so I required both excision as well as lipo.

That's ok thejuice ;) do you have a diary or post-op photos of your surgery? How did yours go?

My surgery is booked for a couple of months away so I guess the only thing I can do is quit smoking and wait patiently, and hope for the best possible result...

I think my problem is just that I worry too much about all this sort of stuff - that and the fact that all my hard work of bodybuilding and eating perfectly for years never helped...

I "heard on the grapevine" that there is a possibility that gyne can be created by excess consumption of soy milk. Is there any information to back up this fact? I used to drink a lot before I had gyne, and now I'm back on it because I don't particularly like the fat content of normal milk...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 10:39:52 PM by OddMuscles »

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
Well after drinking soy, I could really just drink any type of milk!! I think low fat is fine, although I am slightly lactose intolerant... doesn't bother me too much, the last thing I want is my gyne to come back after enduring the operation  :)

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
*Post modified to contain all questions in 1...*

In that case, do you suggest I see someone regarding hormone levels before I go ahead with the op? I have had heaps of blood tests, because of a slightly dodgy liver... but I wasn't sure if that checked hormones too.

Well it seems definite - my gyno must be caused by soy milk! I drank it for a large part of my young life, until a year or so into puberty. Now, in the last month I have drunk nothing but soy milk and for the first time in years I have seen a slight increase in the size of my gyne. I'll post photos (the increase is noticible!).

Oh well, no more for me! Does this mean my problem could be fixed another way, or is it better to have surgery?

Or maybe it could be because I've been sexually active since just before I got them (on average around once a day)?? Could anyone provide any answers? I've stopped drinking soy milk again, maybe I should go celibit  :o :o
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 06:17:49 PM by OddMuscles »

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
Would someone have a moment to help me out with the above questions? The date of my surgery is rapidly approaching and I'd love to be able to avoid it if possible, considering it's only glands for me...

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello OddMuscles

I doubt anyone could answer your questions regarding hormones/soy milk/sexual activity with any accuracy or benefit to you.

The causes and cures of gynaecomastia are very, very individual.  It's possible that yours could be due to the reasons you mention, but do the causes really matter?  It's where you are at that really counts.

Any ethical surgeon would (or should) advise you of any alternatives to surgery if the results from which are likely to meet your expectation and is at least as effective as going under his or her knife.

However,  I am aware that no matter how ethical any PS might be, I was careful to get an unbiased opinion from my personal trainer and my family doctor who are in a position to advise me of the alternatives.

After exhaustive research, I am convinced that (for me at least) surgery is the way to go.

Once the fat cells and glandular tissue has been removed, the condition will not return as the offending cells have been removed and cannot return.

There is a product called Andractim (do a google) that professes to be able to be used as a corrective treatment for gynaecomastia.  I used it and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever.  I am yet to read about another guy to have used it and find it useful.

Looking at your pictures, your surgeon needs to do some significant work in terms of tissue excision and aligning the areola into a correct position in line with your pectoral muscle.  This is something you really need to talk about in detail so that you are fully aware of what your surgeon intends to do and what the likely outcome is.

I think it is highly unlikely that your sexual activity has anything to do with contributing to your situation and as such should not concern yourself over this.  BUT I am not a medical practitioner and again these are the questions you'd be best to present to your family doctor, endocrinologist or surgeon.

Speak to these people before you go for surgery if you are still concerned.  If you are under any doubts, now is the time to post-pone your surgery until you have all the answers that are both informed and that you are happy with.

Best wishes.

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
agree, soy's got nothing to do with it, soy phytoestrogens have about 1/500th the effect of normal estro, and soymilk might spare you the hormones that can lace cow milk, and which i still think is a gyne suspect, see my past thread on a euro dairy import story.  

coincidentally i was just reading a news item a few days ago, don't remember where, that suggested soymilk could have the reverse effect by supplanting regular, thereby increasing t/e ratios.  i'd better stay in, i guess that makes me a risk for road rage  ;)  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
Thanks so much phantom, your passages were extremely helpful! (and thanks to everyone else too).

Well, I just had a full hormone blood test, and it seems all my hormones are perfect. Therefore, citing no cause for my gyne (apart from obesity and then massive weight loss) I can't seem to see any alternative to surgery, or living with it for another 10 years.

I've weighed the positives and negatives of doing it in my mind for the last 5 years, and finally I think I'll go along with it, and just hope for the best. To be honest I'd rather have complications in the operation or have a stuffed up chest after rather than live with it for another lifetime, at least having tried!

Therefore, I'll have to leave it up to fate as to whether I am to have a good chest or not, as I've had it up to my neck with this sh*t. 10 years is 9 years and 364 days too much to live with it!

So anyways, I'll do my best to cut down on smoking up until the surgery and I'll also have to try and build my muscles as much as I can so that I don't have to worry about losing too much in the time until then. I guess the thing to do would be post a diary showing my activity up to the operation and then a post-op diary, so anyone in a similar situation to mine can see.

Comments welcome!

Thanks,

Oddmuscles

Offline OddMuscles

• Posting Member
Thanks TheJuice, unfortunately my city is only about 400,000 people so finding people who have had surgery with the same guy is difficult... I have to just hope for the best.

Ok but seriously, since I booked the surgery I've doubled my cardio and been increasing my weights in the hope that I can melt this stuff off my chest....

But I did take photos just over a month ago and now, and.....

It looks to me like my gyne is REDUCING. Is this because I want it to, and it is just an illusion?

Please look at these photos and tell me what you think. Every comment on earth is welcome.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oddmuscles2005/album?.dir=/8526

The ones on the left/top are the older ones.

Am I just imaging all this in the hope I can chicken out of surgery?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 04:30:23 PM by OddMuscles »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024