Author Topic: Losing Weight in Chest After Surgery  (Read 15942 times)

Offline randomuser1

• Posting Member
My Question is....

If u have gyno surgery done, with lipo, taking fat from your chest...., then you go on a diet to lose weight, will your body still burn fat in your chest at the same rate or same amount before you had the surgery? or will it be able to sense that there is less fat there and burn less?

Offline scrudge

My Doctor, Anderson, said in some cases if you have the operation and put more weight on it would start to come back, the hormone.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Where the body gives up fat when you lose weight cannot be targeted. Even though the purveyors of some diet aids claim otherwise, it simply cannot be done.

Because the breast usually consists of both fatty and glandular tissue, weight loss alone will usually have little impact unless a person is grossly obese and the weight loss is great.

That said, you owe it to yourself to present yourself for surgery in good physical condition if you are to achieve the best results.

Omar said that a silk purse could not be made from a sows ear, keep that image in mind.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:11:00 PM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

DrBermant

My Question is....

If u have gyno surgery done, with lipo, taking fat from your chest...., then you go on a diet to lose weight, will your body still burn fat in your chest at the same rate or same amount before you had the surgery? or will it be able to sense that there is less fat there and burn less?

Weight Loss Before Surgery is typically better than weight loss after surgery.  Losing weight is a coarse tool.  Plastic Surgery is best reserved as a refinement tool.  You cannot pick where the weight comes from, nor goes onto.  Men typically gain weight first on the stomach, love handles, and chest.  We typically take weight off the same areas last.  Major weight loss after surgery may not come from your chest.  If like most men, you do not lose as much from the chest, it may look as if your gynecomastia has recurred.  Some of my patients loose their weight after surgery and get away with it.  However, weight loss after surgery is a gamble.

Getting to a weight you are comfortable with is often best.  Taking weight off, having surgery, and then putting weight back on is a problem.  If as with most men, weight is put on the breasts, it can look like the gynecomastia has come back.

After major weight loss, there may be loose drooping tissues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!
Dr. Bermant:

I've gained 10 pounds since my gyno surgery (9 months ago) and it all went to my stomach.

So far, my chest is as flat as it was prior to gaining weight.

My question is this: Since lipo removed fat cells from my chest, is it "more difficult" to gain fat in this area since the fat cells were removed by lipo and they can no longer grow because they're not there anymore?

Thanks....

DrBermant

Dr. Bermant:

I've gained 10 pounds since my gyno surgery (9 months ago) and it all went to my stomach.

So far, my chest is as flat as it was prior to gaining weight.

My question is this: Since lipo removed fat cells from my chest, is it "more difficult" to gain fat in this area since the fat cells were removed by lipo and they can no longer grow because they're not there anymore?

Thanks....

How weight is put on after surgery depends on many factors.  Men tend to put fat on the chest, stomach and love handle regions first.  Fat cells themselves have a certain tendency depending on their nature.  Deplete enough fat cells in a region, and there are less of them to put on the extra fat.  I have seen patients with such crater deformites after gynecomastia surgery, that fat would go on surrounding regions.  There was just too few cells left to act naturally. 

Standardized photographs of the male ches are a good way to help others understand your concerns.  Such issues are best discussed with your surgeon. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:22:39 PM by DrBermant »

Offline jc71

• Wilma, grab the lotion, we're going to the beach!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024