Author Topic: Surgeons with experience in young teens  (Read 3406 times)

Offline momof14yrold

• Posting Member
My 14 year old has been living with enlarged breasts for the past two years.  He's now entering High School and asked my husband and I to look into the surgical options.

He's already been evaluated by an endocrinologist who said that there's some glandular tissue that would need to be removed, and there's also some fat.  The endocrinologist thought it would be best to wait until he's 19 or finished going through puberty --- there's absolutely NO WAY I"m going to allow him to continue suffering if there's something that can be done about this now.

I've found information about Dr. Bermant in Virginia who has performed surgery on young teens.  I'm in the NJ area.  If there are other surgeons you'd recommend that we take a look at, please advise.

Thanks!

Offline tornado

• Silver Member
Look for a board certfied P.S in your area.  

If you live in NJ.  There is a Dr listed on this site from PA.

Dr. B is good but not the only one out there.  Another is Bruce Naddler on long island.  May not be to far from you.

Dont just look at the first one.  Ask questions.  How much Gyne work have they done, look at pictures.

Note: there are many Dr's out there that do this work.

Take it slow, ask the right questions.  It will work out.

Good luck..

Offline 14 yr old surgery 2/18

• Bronze Member
  • 18th=heaven
I'm 14 too, so i know what hes going through. You a great parent to be researching etc. for your son. anyways, I just finished scheduling my appointment with Dr. Johnathan Lebowitz in Huntington, NY (Long Island). Surgery is Feb. 18th, I'll be sure to get back to you on the results but he seemed great and has done this procedure before about 50 times.  Any questions post here.
Surgery: February 18th, 2005
Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Jonathan Lebowitz
Type: Gland only

Offline tammyvivi

• Posting Member
  • I am my son's advocate.
I hope this Mom is still checking the board. I too have a 14 year old son that I am going to be supporting for surgery.  We started out journey at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati near where we live.  Since our insurance excludes this proceedure we are in the appeals process.  Our first choice is a respected general surgeon at Children's who has done this porceedure but, the cost is outrageous.  A pediatric plastic surgeon we have consulted through Children's would be willing to do it at a general hospital for about 1/2 the cost but wouldn't be able to do it until August and we were really hoping to have it done at the beginging of summer so he would have most of the summer to recoperate.  So I am now on the path to try and find another "adult" plastic surgeon in our area that we can trust.

I have just posted a request on theboard for suggestions of surgeons near us.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024