Author Topic: Help! How to get a doctor's recommendation?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline tuck_01

• Posting Member
Hi,
I have had puffy nipple gynecomastia for almost 5 years now. I am 18 and realize it will not go away. It is all gland because I have a slim build. I would say I have a moderate case. I am at the point where I feel I can't go on unless I get it surgically corrected. I want to get the surgery done before I start college in August. I talked to my dad about getting surgery and the only way it will get done is if the insurance pays for it which is only possible he said if a doctor recommended I need the surgery. My question is how do I convince the doctor to recommend the surgery. Would saying it is painful increase my chances for him to recommend it? I am willing to do anything to get this corrected.
Thanks

Offline Jack17

• Bronze Member
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think insurance will cover this. They just don't. We hear stories of insurance companies denying coverage to cancer patients, never mind a cosmetic surgery.

Doctor's recommendation or not, your HMO will deny the claim. If you look at the FAQs here from doctors, many of them say that they have never had a company agree to cover a case (or maybe they have had one or two). My doctor does like 4 gyne operations a month, and what he told me was interesting. The case for coverage of breast reduction surgery is pretty much the same for men as it is for women (it's causing severe back pain, causing rashes on the underneath the breast, cancer, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, I wish you luck, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think the better approach here is the start saving your money.   

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024