Author Topic: Is the surgeon supposed to remove all breast tissue?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline eyooh

• Bronze Member
I recently had a talk with my surgeon, and he told me that not all breast tissue were removed because it would most likely cause a everything to look very strange.

I was under the impression that all breast tissue was to be removed, as males are not supposed to have this tissue?

Offline joltera

• Bronze Member
all males have breast tissue, the surgeon is supposed to leave some or else your nipple will cave inward.
f*ck gyne

hammer

Male and female breast are alike at birth, but as you grow and hormones kick in then the female hormones cause the female to have the breast growth, the male hormones give you your male characteristics.

As you go through adolescents you can have times when your breast can have some extra growth do to hormone changes, however most of the time it will correct it self in time. In a few cases it does not correct it self, and wa-lla you have guys like us with gynecomastia!

This is very simplified, but if you google gynecomastia you will find more about it then you ever needed to know. The info is out there, if you are ready to read it all.

There are also a few other medical reasons for gyne also that you can read about if you want to do a search on it, I just didn't want to get into that part of it too.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:51:36 PM by hammer »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
All males have a certain small amount of breast tissue directly under the areola -- that is the normal condition.  Gynecomastia may be defined as any excess of tissue on a male chest, which is usually some combination of fat and breast tissue.

When gyne surgery is performed, one must leave a certain amount of tissue directly under the areola in order to prevent cave-in (often called a crater deformity).  This tissue can be just a thin layer of normal breast tissue or it can be some fat which has been moved under the areola from adjacent areas (this is called a fat flap).

In any case, one must bear in mind that gyne surgery is not cancer surgery.  We are not looking to remove every last cell of breast tissue.  We are merely looking to remove the excess tissues and restore a normal appearing male chest.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024