Author Topic: Massaging Post Op  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Chodel

• Silver Member
  • Défectuosité toujours
if you don't bother to massage post op will the scar tissue just remain longer?  or does it mean the scar tissue won't go at all?

thanks

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
scar tissue will reduce on its own. massage is said to be beneficial in reducing scar tissue so its worthwhile doing to reduce chances of permanent scarring

DrBermant

if you don't bother to massage post op will the scar tissue just remain longer?  or does it mean the scar tissue won't go at all?

thanks

I prefer to individualize the scar care for each of my patients. Timing, choice of garment(s), scar treatments are part of what we help each of our patients better understand as part of their surgical sculpture.  Choice of surgeon involves patient education, skill during surgery, and aftercare.  A wrong recommendation for aftercare can really make a mess of an operation.

I typically use a compression vest after gynecomastia surgery for many reasons explained on that link.  I use first stage compression, to protect tissues.  Second stage protection is for scars.  Surgical technique is a major factor in Gynecomastia Male Breast Reduction.  Scars that heal under pressure typically do better than scars without pressure.

Scar Care Creams and Sheets come in many different forms.  Such issues are better discussed with your doctor who is familiar with the specifics of what was done.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024