Author Topic: Sun-bathing following surgery.  (Read 3232 times)

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
hi drs, thanks for your time.

i had a bi-lateral mastectomy with lipo 5 weeks ago.

the scars are very very minimal but still obviously recovering, some swelling, tightness, etc.

i am due to go to egypt in 2 weeks time and it will be hot.

i usually like to sunbath/go in the sea/beach stuff safely but am concerned about my chest.

would you advise non-exposure to the sun? also, is the extreme heat of sunbathing danerous at all to the healing tissue underneath the skin?

if necessary i'll just wear a vest and stay out of it.

many thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The skin on your chest will be sensitive to sunlight and may burn more easily than usual.  And the incision sites are definitely very sensitive to the sun -- direct sun exposure will keep them redder for a longer period of time.  Would recommend, at the very least, some strong sunblock on your chest and very strong sunblock on the incision sites.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
One issue that can be a problem for patients who tan following surgery is that any areas that are bruised will likely hyperpigment with sun exposure.  That means you can get dark spots in the bruised areas, even after visible bruising has dissipated.  And it takes many months for the area to lighten up again, if it even will lighten up completely.  Two weeks from now is nearly two months from the time of your surgery, so any bruising should have resolved by then.  Nonetheless, a good sun-screen is essential, and you should protect the scars for a year to prevent them from darkening.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
Thanks very much Dr Jacobs and Dr. Silverman.

I will adhere to that sound advice.

Very much appreciated. Kind regards.

DrBermant

hi drs, thanks for your time.

i had a bi-lateral mastectomy with lipo 5 weeks ago.

the scars are very very minimal but still obviously recovering, some swelling, tightness, etc.

i am due to go to egypt in 2 weeks time and it will be hot.

i usually like to sunbath/go in the sea/beach stuff safely but am concerned about my chest.

would you advise non-exposure to the sun? also, is the extreme heat of sunbathing danerous at all to the healing tissue underneath the skin?

if necessary i'll just wear a vest and stay out of it.

many thanks.

Scars in the red phase and not fully healed that tan tend to not give up that tan. So when the normal skin's tan fades, the scars remain dark. Sun blocking lotions have limited effectiveness and after enough exposure still result in a tan. That is why avoiding the tan and Sun Protection Clothing are so critical for those who do not want dark scars.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline dave2009

• Bronze Member
Thankyou Dr Bermant,

I really can not thank you all and this amazing site. I don't know what I would have done without it.

I will definitely be buying some protective clothing as you recommend.

Kind regards.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024