Author Topic: What style bra  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Getting boobs

• Posting Member
This is my first post here, I found this place by looking for some answers to the condition that it seem everyone here shares. Its nice to know that there is a place that one can come to meet people whom share the problem that we do. This is something that has just started for me, so I don't have the experience that some of you do. It started a few years ago with some health problems caused by Lyme disease, that caused a hormone imbalance. To make a long story short, we have not been able to get them back on track at this point.  It is also getting to the point that it is starting to be noticeable, just like my username says. I am getting boobs. I hope calling them that does not offend anyone. They are not only getting larger, but my nipples have started to increase in size as well. That along with the bouncing has caused enough pain that I need to find something that will help with it. So like others here I am to the point that I need some support. I am no where close to the size of a lot of you yet, but I afraid that with the amount of growth I have had that I may catch up. I have tried a sports bra, I don't like the feeling of wearing it all the time. So I am looking for ideas on the right kind to try. If I have measured correct, I am a 39 under and a 41-42 around them. Really not sure how to describe it, but I have a lot under to the sides of my chest if pushed up to the center I would be bigger. Not that being bigger is what I want, I just want something that fits comfy, supports, keeps the bounce down and my nipples from showing. So I guess the question I am asking is one style better for getting done what I am looking for? Thank you in advance for any answers to my questions.

Offline blad

It may feel like a big step right away, but nothing will beat having an in store bra fitting to nail down the best size and style for you to try. Otherwise you will be shooting in the dark and may struggle to get the fit and comfort that is possible. There really is no substitute. 
If the bra fits, wear it.

Offline Johndoe1

Blad is right. You can't beat a professional fitting. Because body shapes and types are so varied, there are a million styles of bras and for a male, it makes it even tougher since our chests are more rounded and larger in shape than a female. With more and more men wearing bras due to gynecomastia, bra fittings for men are becoming more common. That is not to say that lingerie stores see a male client everyday, but we are more frequent than we use to be. Start out at a locally owned shop. Being smaller, and local, they will not spread your "business" around like some 20 something at VS or other chain stores. Usually you can go on line and their websites will give an indication if you will be welcomed or not. When you find a shop, call and ask to speak to the owner or manager. Tell her, it's usually a woman, you have gynecomastia and you would like to book a private appointment for a fitting. At this point she will set the appointment up or will tell you they don't serve men. She will probably ask you some questions like do you wear a bra now and if so what size and what style. This is to get some info ahead of time so when you arrive for your appointment, she is familiar with what you might be interested in. Just remember that not only is she trying to make your experience a good one, she also has to be sure that her female clients are not upset by having a male in the store trying on bras, hence the private appointment, usually either just before opening or just at closing so no one else is in the shop. And for a first time, a private appointment will make your more comfortable. And listen to her advice. If she is worth her salt, she will not put you into a bra that will make you look silly or stupid. She will put you in a bra that will work for and with you. After my first fitting, I was surprised at how much confidence I had about my chest in which I had fretted over for years before.

An underbust of 39 and a bust of 42 would be around a 38C without knowing your breast type. Each inch above the underbust number equals one cup size. 36 underbust and a 38 bust is a 36B, 40D is an underbust of 40 and a bust of 44. A good starting point would be to take 6 measurements and use the calculator on Reddit's subreddit, A Bra That Fits. The 6 measurements are: Loose Underbust, Snug Underbust, Tight Underbust, Standing Bust, Leaning Bust and Lying Bust. Plug those into https://www.abrathatfits.org/calculator.php and that is a really good starting point. Most men are wideset and shallow, meaning clevage is usually not going to happen since the breast sit far apart (wideset) and most of the tissue is below the nipple (shallow). Those type breasts usually work well with plunge and balconette type bras, depending on how close the breasts sit. Wideset breasts usually work better with wide gore (the bridge between the cups) bras in underwire types with the gore lying flat against the sternum and each cup individually supporting each breast for best support. "Soft cups" or non wired bra gores will not sit on the sternum but will float above it, depending on the style. A semi-uniboob effect is what you get with soft cup bras. Again, it depends on your body shape and breast shape and position on your chest. For me personally, I find that a wideset underwire plunge style bra with side support is the most supportive and comfortable bra. Because of my size, my breasts tend to be more on the feminine side, droopy and round where my arms will brush up against the sides of my breast so the side support will pull them in more towards the center of my chest to allow my arms by. Also, the lift of the bra lifts up my breasts off my chest and it is much more comfortable and keeps the breasts contained, or not moving around on my chest. The placement of the wire on the body is the key. The wire needs to sit under the armpits to completely encompass ALL the breast tissue that extends under the armpit (who knew breast tissue went that far back?). If the cup is too small, the wire hits before all the tissue is contained and the wire pokes into the soft tissue and over time leaves marks where the wire is digging in. You want that wire to be "sprung" just a little by the tension of the band to keep the tissue seated in the cup. That is why the "swoop and scoop" method of putting on a bra is so important for fit and comfort. It slightly pulls the wire back as the tissue is put into the cups for a good fit and support. Also you want the band to lie horizontal around the ribs, not diagonally or raised up the back, under the shoulder blades is best, if your breast placement will allow and to be tight enough to not move under normal movement (to be "anchored"), but not so tight it is uncomfortable. For me it took some time to find that sweat spot, but when you do, bra wearing is a complete game changer in comfort and support.

Cup size is not the same from size to size. A 36C cup is not the same volume as a 42C. It is a ratio of cup volume verses band size. This is where sister sizing comes in. A 38C is the same cup size as a 34D or 40B. As you increase in band size, you decrease in cup size to maintain volume and vis-a-versa. In reality, cup size is not a good way to gauge true size, even though everyone does. You can be a 40C with wideset shallow breast type and your projection is not as much as a 40C narrowset full breast type. That is why there are so many different bra types and styles and why a fitter can be your best asset. If I had not gone to a fitter, I would have never known all this and before I went, my bras did not fit and were uncomfortable to wear for long periods. I had self measured myself at a 42C with just two measurements, underbust and bust, which put the band too large and never anchored on my chest and the bra style was wrong for my breast type and the breasts moved all around since the bra wasn't really supporting with up and down movement and the cups were too small and tissue was being squeezed out under and behind the cups and I was being poked by the underwire right into the tender sides of my breast and now after the fitting, I wear a 38DD or 36DDD, depending on the bra and am very comfortable all day, where before after about 4 or 5 hours I was ready to get that thing off! I completely get it why women can't wait to get home and rip their bra off. I was doing the same thing myself. After I got fitted and started wearing the right bras for my body, I go 10 to 14 hours a day in a bra and am comfortable the whole time. That is what a fitting will do for you.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Offline SideSet

I second the other comments.  Seems like you are a B or C cup, and at that size you really should wear a bra for comfort and appearance.  You should get a bra fitting and try on, so you can buy and start wearing what works best for you.  I would recommend Soma, as being very openminded and having a good selection of nice bras

Offline Getting boobs

• Posting Member
Thank you for the reply's. I live in a pretty small town and it will be a bit of a drive to find a place that I can be fitted. Not that I mind that, may work out better. My wife understands why I need one, but just not sure how she will react seeing me in one. I can understand that, because I am not sure how will feel about it. Never thought that I would be needing advice on picking out a bra, but here we are. Until I can get fitted, that still sounds strange to me. But i guess that I will get used to the fact in time.I will talk with her tonight and see if a trip to Walmart to look at the styles that has been suggested. Get a few of each and take back what does not fit. thanks again for the advice. I am glad that I have found this place, it makes it better knowing that one is not alone in this.

Offline SideSet

Your plan makes sense. Maybe give some thought to trying on the bras in the Walmart fitting room?   They are fine with you bringing bras into the men’s fitting room.

I would suggest starting with band sizes of 38 and 40 and cup sizes of B and C. 

Also suggest you focus right now on comfort and support. You’re going to want to be putting on your bra because you’re probably going to need to wear a bra the rest of your life. 

Later you can think about the other  things you want from your bra like shaping, lift, nipple coverage.

Offline Getting boobs

• Posting Member
Thank you sideset, that was something I had not thought of, trying them on there. Guess maybe I am still not sure comfy with the idea of wearing one all the time. But with you saying that I probably will need one for the rest of my life is sinking it. There is options but at this point I am not sure that I want to go that route, I had a bad experience with anesthesia. I have been looking, never knew that there was so many styles and choices. But I guess you just have to find what works for you and go with it.

Offline SideSet

My feeling is that at a C cup you really need to wear a bra, while at a B cup you can get away with some braless, but not all the time.  And you are probably still developing.   Who knows, probably a D cup, or more, in your future  :)

You are so right about all the different styles, and you just have to find out which best suit your breasts.   Really, the only way is to try on first. Best, if you can get a fitting.  

I agree you could probably get a breast reduction or mastectomy, but lots of downsides to cosmetic surgery.  

I think once you start wearing a bra, you’ll feel more comfortable and confident  

Offline Getting boobs

• Posting Member
Last night was the big night, I went shopping for my first real bra. We went later in the evening when it would be less busy and was happy to find out that it was. It was still intimidating walking up to the racks of bras, knowing that I was going to be picking them out for me. I have been a volunteer firefighter and worked EMS for a several years. I am an avid outdoors man as well. I have been inside burning houses, rolled up on some pretty bad things, stopped a bear charge, rafted some of the worst whitewater in the country. I think this had my nerves worse than any of those did. Then I thought of some of the post that I had read here. Its just a bra, a piece of clothing nothing more, nothing less. I had an idea in my mind of what I wanted to try an underwire, light padding  based on the ideas that were given here. My wife was there for support, but wanted me to pick them out. I had to try a few sizes to get what I think is the most comfy band size. I think that I am a 40b which seems to feel the best so far. I picked out a couple Maidenform in the comfort devotion line. After getting it on and getting all of what I have into the cups. Then looking into the mirror seeing it and then looking down to see them for a view point that I had never seen them before I was a little surprised . I had my wife to come she just stood and looked at me in it, I was getting worried that it was going to be bad. But she said I see why you wanted something, that she had noticed I was getting larger. But to see them in a bra and me filling up the cups was a bit of a shock to her. So now I have joined the club for better or worse. I have worn it most of the day and it is going to take some getting used to. I don't have a lot of chest hair, but I think at some point soon I will have to take care of that. But that is a talk for another day. Thank you to all of those that took the time to post and give advice.

Offline Johndoe1

Congratulations! Welcome to the world of support and comfort! It will take some time to get used to the firm feeling around the rib cage, but before you know it, you won't even be aware of it but when it isn't there, you WILL know it is NOT there! That first look down is a real eye opener. For me seeing my breasts lifted and contained in the cups really made the point that I needed support and the relief was instantaneous. I knew I had made the right decision and I have worn a bra every day since. Yeah, that first shopping experience is the worst! But you are past that now. The Maidenform is a nice bra. I hope it does what you want it to do.

Offline Getting boobs

• Posting Member
Yes, it is going to take a bit to get used to the feeling of wearing it. But it does feel nice to have the support when doing things like going up and down the stairs. I guess there is a learning curve to getting used to putting one on. But we will get there. I am off work for a few days and don't have a lot of plans. So I plan on wearing it all that I can.

Offline SideSet

Good for you. And good for your wife being there for you.   And very nice that she immediately understood that you need to wear a bra. 

The Comfort Devotion wirefree  is a very good first bra.  Good support, yet soft and comfortable.   Also, quite basic looking, so I’m assuming not as threatening to your wife.  

Did you end up with the 40B? Sounds like your breasts fully filled your bra cup  and that your wife was quite impressed by that.  Next time you go bra shopping, try a 38C, also.   Maybe try on an underwire, also.

Seems like you and your wife agree that you are going to be wearing bras from now on. How nice for you and her. 

Offline Johndoe1

Yes, it is going to take a bit to get used to the feeling of wearing it. But it does feel nice to have the support when doing things like going up and down the stairs. I guess there is a learning curve to getting used to putting one on. But we will get there. I am off work for a few days and don't have a lot of plans. So I plan on wearing it all that I can.
Don't forget to swoop and scoop when you put your bra on. It will make a big difference in not only appearance, but comfort as well.

aboywithgirls

As far as "what style bra?", To be honest, now that you're wearing a bra, you'll discover that you will need more than one style and probably more than a one color bra. I've worn my bra daily since I was 16. I was a 34C back then. Now, 30 years later, my anatomy still requires me to support my 38H boobs. 

I wear several different style bras. For my everyday bra, I wear a traditional underwire back close bra. During the warmer months, I typically will wear a lace cup because its cooler and reduces unsightly boob sweat . When the weather turns cooler, I wear phase into my molded cup bras which are warmer and have better nipple coverage. 

There are also sub categories to consider in the world of underwire bras.  I prefer balconette and full coverage bras but I also have a few plunge bras. Depending on the situation and the top that you are wearing, you may want to have all of these in your drawer ready to go. 

There are other bras that you may wish to consider. A couple different sports bras will be a must for physical activity. You may also find that having a couple leisure bras for wearing around the house or to bed can be very comfortable when you don't need as much support. Along those same lines, bralettes are also.a good option when you don't need as much support. 

I hope some of this helps. I didn't think so 30 years ago, but, wearing a bra for all of those years gave me a good amount of knowledge about bras and breast care. I can honestly say that even  now, I still am fitted for most of my bras and feel perfectly comfortable doing so. Good luck.

Offline Getting boobs

• Posting Member
Yes, I am sure that as time goes on I will find out what styles that are best for me and what I need for day to day wear. Who knew that there were so many choices to choose from. That is the great thing about asking questions here, lots of experience to draw from. It shortens that learning curve. I have not been for a fitting yet, but I do plan to in the near future. I have been working on getting my straps adjusted to where I think they should be or at least feel the best. Its all about learning and I guess we will get there.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024