Author Topic: neosporin on scars after surgery?  (Read 8864 times)

Offline puff916

• Posting Member
do you think its a good idea?  It should help with the healing process.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I was not told to do that with either my first op or my revision.  I asked my wife, who is a registered nurse, and she said there was no reason to.  You're taking antibiotics to keep infections away and that stuff is only first aid for surface wounds. 
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline ddaavviiddd

• Silver Member
What they r talking about is Neosproin for scars.   It's specially made for scars not the regular neosorin

Offline Mr_Nip

What they r talking about is Neosproin for scars.   It's specially made for scars not the regular neosorin

Since you're familiar with the product and know what he's asking, then maybe you could
answer his question.   ;D  :P  ;D

DrBermant

do you think its a good idea?  It should help with the healing process.
I sometimes recommend the Neosporin Scar Care product for some of my patients.  There are many scar care products out there.  I prefer to individualize the scar care for each of my patients.

You are correct, the Neosporin name is most commonly associated with their topical antibiotic.  They have also put their name on one of many versions of a sticky non-vulcanized silicone patch which confuses many.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline puff916

• Posting Member
I was asking my question based off the neosporin commercials that showed 2 similar wounds and they used neosporin on one and not the other and it healed a few days earlier.  What you think?

Offline Mr_Nip

I was asking my question based off the neosporin commercials that showed 2 similar wounds and they used neosporin on one and not the other and it healed a few days earlier.  What you think?

In that case, I was right to begin with and I'll stand by the answer I first posted.  That's the triple antibiotic ointment and not a scar care product.

Offline ddaavviiddd

• Silver Member
I think what Dr Bermant is trying to say is that the neosporian for scars is made to make the scar fade as much as possible,  the other neosporian is to heal an open wound.  Just go to a Pharmacy and tell then u want something for scars and and they will point u in the right direction.   Also go back and read Dr Bermant advice

Offline Mr_Nip

I think what Dr Bermant is trying to say is that the neosporian for scars is made to make the scar fade as much as possible,  the other neosporian is to heal an open wound.  Just go to a Pharmacy and tell then u want something for scars and and they will point u in the right direction.   Also go back and read Dr Bermant advice

He just posted that he's wanting to know if Neosporin will help the gyne surgical area heal better like the wounds shown on the TV commercial.  That's the triple antibiotic ointment and not the scar care product.   Dr. Bermant was helpful in confirming that Neosporin's name is on both types of products.    ;) 

Since the original question I was answering has to do with a healing surgical incision (and not scar care) I'll go
back to what I said before:  My PS told me to just leave it alone while it's healing and then massage for scars later.  My wife, the RN, said that in the hospital where she works they don't recommend using any ointments on healing surgical incisions in most cases. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 11:28:56 PM by Mr_Nip »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024