Author Topic: Medication containing soy ingredients: risk of exacerbating gyne?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline amethyst tint

• Posting Member
A question for the doctors out there:

My naturopath has recommended a few products (multivitamin, vitamin D3, fish oil, curcumin) for general health and to assist in my recovery from a mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI). The curcumin-based product contains an ingredient derived from soy (phytosome). Should I be concerned about taking it? My priority right now is recovering from the MTBI, but I have mild gynecomastia and would like to avoid making the condition worse (I am considering surgery eventually).

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There are phytoestrogens, or plant compounds resembling estrogen, in many herbs and vegetables. Natural animal estrogen is many times stronger, actually hundreds of times stronger. You would have to consume vast quantities of the herbal preparations to have a significant estrogenic effect.

There is a line or reasoning that says the weak phytoestrogens can tie up potential estrogen receptors; if this is true it might be concluded that these compound might actually prevent our natural estrogen from causing Gynecomastia.

I'm not inclined to put too much stock in this either way. What your herbalist has suggested should be no problem.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024