Author Topic: Questions...  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Wanted

• Posting Member
I have some questions about Gyne and they are mainly about surgery that I don't know if I should get or not.

I already had my consultation but I either didn't think of these questions at the time or I wanted multiple opinions.

I have VERY puffy nipples and of course some Gyne fat but the big problem for me is the nipples. So I am wondering if I can JUST get the clump of whatever behind my nipple removed? Would that make a quicker recovery? Or just cause it to come back? Do I need the lipo?

Do I need to have drains? I believe I have read about people on here who didn't use drains...

Will the scars be visible? My surgeon said they probably would but the pictures of post-ops I have seen they are not visible at all.

How long till I can REALLY be active as in working out everyday?

Please help, thanks!

Oh and are the Featured doctors on this website some of the best in the Country or did they just pay to get on?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have VERY puffy nipples and of course some Gyne fat but the big problem for me is the nipples. So I am wondering if I can JUST get the clump of whatever behind my nipple removed? Would that make a quicker recovery? Or just cause it to come back? Do I need the lipo?

It is rare to have puffy nipples with no additional gyne tissue surround the nipples (one would have to be really skinny).  When I am confronted with a request such as yours, I will frequently recommend total treatment of the gyne, which would consist of treatment of the puffy nipples as well as the surrounding gyne tissue.  Trying to remove just the puffy nipples is an invitation to a poor result.

Do I need to have drains? I believe I have read about people on here who didn't use drains...

Some surgeons use drains routinely on every case -- others do not.  There is no right or wrong.  I rarely use drains -- but that is my inclination and technique.  Best to discuss this with your surgeon.  Bottom line:  during surgery, if drains seem to be necessary as deemed by the surgeon, then they should be used.  Indeed, there are times when I do use drains.

Will the scars be visible? My surgeon said they probably would but the pictures of post-ops I have seen they are not visible at all.

Any incision will leave a scar.  Most scars fade with time.  You must understand that surgery cannot be performed without an incision.  Whether you can see a scar will depend upon that particular patient's healing propensities as well as the time elapsed since the operation.

How long till I can REALLY be active as in working out everyday?

This will depend upon your surgeon's recommendations as well as what transpires during surgery.  Your surgeon is in the best position to answer this queI generally do not allow strenuous physical activities for at least one month but some of my colleagues may differ.  There is no absolute right or wrong in this regard.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Wanted

• Posting Member
Thanks for the response. You may have misunderstood me about the Gyne fat though. I was just saying that the puffy nipples show more than the extra fat I have from gyne.

Just curious, what determines if a patient should get drains or not for you? Does it depend on how severe the case is?

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I very rarely use drains (perhaps 2-4 times a year).  The decision to use drains is made during the actual operation.  The extent of the surgery and undermining of skin certainly has a lot to do with it.  Also, drains may be used if there is more bleeding or oozing during surgery than I would usually expect.

Drains are an annoyance, no doubt.  But when they are needed they will be used.

Some surgeons use them routinely on every case -- and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.  Other surgeons, such as myself, use them only if they seem necessary.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024